Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach default value for custom psd on multiple drawings

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
diego.zanetti
1048 Views, 15 Replies

Attach default value for custom psd on multiple drawings

Hello everyone, i would like to know if there is a way for permanently attach a value to a custom property set definition for a device

i build my custom device style, attached my psd, fill manually the values (text) and then i add the device to a palette for other drawings.

Now if i create a new drawing, copy/paste the psd from the old file to the new file, i have to fill the psd values again.

can someone help me to avoid this?

thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Hi,

You need to save your psd in your template, or in a file you save somewhere.

Then, right-click on your tool palette, and change the path of file.

WKR.

Christophe Legrand
Message 3 of 16
Keith.Brown
in reply to: diego.zanetti

With manual property sets you can set a default value after creating them.  Just add the default value into the default column of the property definition that you are interested in.  It is that easy!

Property Definition Default Value.png

Message 4 of 16
diego.zanetti
in reply to: Keith.Brown

thanks for the answer. i didn't specify that my values are different for every device. in this way the value is the same for every device, right?

Message 5 of 16
Keith.Brown

Yes the value is the same for every device.  If you need a different value for every type of device then consider using a style based property set.  Every unique style will have the same value.

Message 6 of 16
Keith.Brown

You might also think about adding the information directly to the part via Content Builder if the value is consistent across individual parts.  If two parts are exactly the same and you want different values then your only recourse is to fill it in manually the way you are doing now.

Message 7 of 16
diego.zanetti

can i use content builder for create/editing devices? i tough i was only for mep or mvparts. the devices i was talking about, was made by right click and convert to device.

what did you mean with "using a style based property set"?

thanks again

Message 8 of 16
VitalyF

Hi,

@ ....i didn't specify that my values are different for every device...

What specific values you want to change for each device?

Some psd of the device can be modified using the formulas,

For example, you can change properties depending on the System (Power, Fire and etc.)

PS

You can also vary the properties of devices using different tags and palettes

In accordance with the principle - one symbol - many tags

PS

A tag may also contain the formula and to be universal for many devices

Vitaly.

Message 9 of 16
diego.zanetti
in reply to: VitalyF

the values are text and numbers, each device corrispond to a code (alphanumeric) and a description (text)
Message 10 of 16
VitalyF

Hi,

Device ordinal number is entered using the tag in autoincrement format

A unique name (code) of the device - the device Style Name

1. - Device Style Name

2. - Device Style path

3.- ...

4.- Device ID can only be assigned to the palette !!! 

5.- Description - default value for device

Device palette.gifDevice Styles.gif

Vitaly

Message 11 of 16
Keith.Brown

@Keith.Brown wrote:

You might also think about adding the information directly to the part via Content Builder if the value is consistent across individual parts.  If two parts are exactly the same and you want different values then your only recourse is to fill it in manually the way you are doing now.

This is a completely wrong answer.  As was mentioned above, devices are not part of Content Builder.  

Each device that you add to a drawing has a specific style.  If two devices have the same properties, then they are the same style.  If a property changes, then it will have a different style.  So if you add a manual property definition to a style based property set, the value set for the property definition will be the same for all devices of that particular style.  If you change it on a single device, it will change on all devices that share that same style.  When creating a property set definition, you can chose to apply it to as an object based property set or a style based property set.

Message 12 of 16
VitalyF

Hi, Keith

Each device that you add to a drawing has a specific style.  If two devices have the same properties,

then they are the same style.  If a property changes, then it will have a different style.

Is not quite true, for example, two identical devices at different levels - Project Level ID

Ie devices may be of the same style but different style based property set...

The rest is true.

This is a general rule for all MEP objects.

Vitaly

Message 13 of 16
diego.zanetti

can i utilize this "fields" to make a schedule?

Message 14 of 16
VitalyF

Hi,

Yes of course. You can use these fields in the Schedule Tables through the psd and tags

Vitaly

Message 15 of 16
Keith.Brown

@VitalyF wrote:

Hi, Keith

Each device that you add to a drawing has a specific style.  If two devices have the same properties,

then they are the same style.  If a property changes, then it will have a different style.

Is not quite true, for example, two identical devices at different levels - Project Level ID

Ie devices may be of the same style but different style based property set...

The rest is true.

This is a general rule for all MEP objects.

Vitaly

Hi Vitaly,

I would call those drawing properties.  You can add those properties to the device by using a property definition but I would not say that they are integral to the device style.  For instance what about a drawing that is not part of a project or a level?  That is part of the reason why those type of properties are not integral to the device style but instead are attached to it via a property set.  Properties that effect the style of the device should be the ones that are in the Automatic section in the definitions tab.

Message 16 of 16
VitalyF

@Keith.BrownFor instance what about a drawing that is not part of a project or a level?

This is elementary simple, for example, Systems, ID, Electrical Property...

Vitaly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost