Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign a new key to ESCAPE key

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cppoly
10561 Views, 10 Replies

Assign a new key to ESCAPE key

Does anyone know how to assign a key that is identical in function to the ESCAPE key?

For instance, I want to define the keypad0 key to act as the escape key.  This way I don't have to lift my hand off the keyboard to press the escape key.  Instead, if this key can do everything the escape key does, that would be great.  I tried aliasedit and cui, but the escape command is not defined anywhere.  Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Scott_Loadman
in reply to: cppoly

Easy.

Open cui.

Under your main cui file expand Keyboard Shortcuts then expand Shortcut Keys.

Right click on first key and select Duplicate.

Edit the new key to match attached picture except for the Access Key.  Select key and click on the button far right with the "...".  Then pick the key on the key board you want to modify.

Click OK on cui box.

Your done.

Enjoy.

ScottL

Message 3 of 11
cppoly

Thanks, but this is still not acting as a true escape key.

For instance, if I select 10 objects and hit the escape key, it will de-select the objects.

WIth the ^C^C command as assigned in your CUI example, it does not de-select the objects like the escape key does.

Is there a TRUE way to mimic the escape key?

Thank you

Message 4 of 11
Scott_Loadman

Try using  ^C^C_end;^C^C

ScottL

Message 5 of 11
cppoly
in reply to: Scott_Loadman

ScottL, THANK YOU!!!

Seems to work perfect.

I noticed in the command window when I use this new escape key, it says "Save drawing as ....: *Cancel*"

It looks like it is trying to save the drawing, but it actually doesn't.  Just cancels.  Can't complain about the minor details, but it works like a charm.

Message 6 of 11
albertputinjobs

can some one plz tell me how to assign esc button to any other keyboard button in a mac computer.

Message 7 of 11

Have you figured out how to remap that ESC key to another command, such as ERASE? I don't know why I cannot find anyway to do this. Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
pendean
in reply to: andres.carter
Message 9 of 11
ghancorne
in reply to: Scott_Loadman

Hi Scott,

Is there anyway this can be done that in a way that is not a Virtual Key?  All the shortcut keys required in the list are virtual keys or key combinations.

I have a small additional keyboard that has a Numpad and various other keys.  i want to assign the = key on this to Escape.  When i press the button to assign it in the CUI config page, it assigns it to ALT+NUMPAD1.  then when i save and close and try to use the = key on my Numpad as intended, nothings happens.  The cross-hairs disappear momentarily as if it is trying to do something but fails to execute or cancel anything.  Can anyone help me out here please?

thanks. 

Grant

Message 10 of 11
rajatshanu64

so with the help of the one method above mentioned i assign the escape key work to number zero and now i am having trouble while entering numeric value of anything in autocad i really hope i could assign the escape key function to enter key which is corner key of keyboard but to do so when i am doing that when i am clicking on enter key in CUI the key is not getting assigned i don't know why may it's kind  of default key or what ? but even though enter key has a job to repeat last command if some how we could change that but how can anyone explain it thanks in advance.

Message 11 of 11

so with the help of the one method above mentioned i assign the escape key work to number zero and now i am having trouble while entering numeric value of anything in autocad i really hope i could assign the escape key function to enter key which is corner key of keyboard but to do so when i am doing that when i am clicking on enter key in CUI the key is not getting assigned i don't know why may it's kind of default key or what ? but even though enter key has a job to repeat last command if some how we could change that but how can anyone explain it thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost