Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD MEP Duct Flanges

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dfluegeman
1663 Views, 7 Replies

ACAD MEP Duct Flanges

Is there any way to customize the duct flange graphics in AutoCAD MEP?  My client creates large, high-pressure duct systems, and the flanges are basically made of angle iron.  Can the flange graphics be edited to show as angles attached to the duct, and can the leg height and thickness be set to vary based on the size of the duct?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dbutts7
in reply to: dfluegeman

Yes...

Sorry, Dan, couldn't help myself...

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
dfluegeman
in reply to: dbutts7

...and in return, didn't help me or my client...

so it's doable, but I have never done it myself.  any links as to where i can find this info?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 4 of 8
dbutts7

Ok, now for the real deal - CAMDuct has the fittings that add the flange connections, but the only way to add them in ACAD MEP is as separate components. CADMEP also has them, but CAMDuct allows you to edit the fittings to add components such as the angle irons. The reason why I bring this up is because both can read the ACAD MEP files directly, and edit the fittings to add the detail.

I tried this a while back by making an MVPART component, rather than duct, since you can add workplanes as needed to represent the shape. While it wasn't specific to industry standard angles, it was enough to say, "There are 8 angles here, with 4 at x length and 4 and y length (via property set definitions). the problem with editing most duct fittings is that they don't natively have the right work planes - they have a path, and then have start and end shapes, so they're really not anything more than a sweep. Some of the transition pieces do, but I don't think you want a transition at each duct connection either.

Have you had a chance to check any of the FAB applications out? I've been looking at them, will be taking a closer look at AU this year...

David A. Butts

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
dbutts7

Got to thinking about this a little more - have you checked out the global library of fittings? The DW144 fittings actually might have the layout configuration you need - send your contact info to me, and I'll give you a call.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
Keith.Brown

@dfluegeman wrote:

Is there any way to customize the duct flange graphics in AutoCAD MEP?  My client creates large, high-pressure duct systems, and the flanges are basically made of angle iron.  Can the flange graphics be edited to show as angles attached to the duct, and can the leg height and thickness be set to vary based on the size of the duct?

There is no way to customize the graphics of the flanges in AutoCAD MEP using the out of the box program.  What i mean by that is that it is definately possible using the .NET programming language and creating a plugin for the software.  For instance, in ductwork it is impossible to create a fitting that sweeps in 2 different planes.  Content Builder will not let you do it.  However, you can create the geometry of the fitting using 3D solid programming and insert that geometry into the fitting at runtime to give it the appearance that you want.  My company has successfully done just that for ogee fittings and drop cheek radius elbows.

Drop Cheek Elbow.jpg

Granted, this does not help you much but if you are willing to learn .NET or C++ then you can get it done.  Otherwise it is not possible in AutoCAD MEP to chang the flange graphics shape other than modifying the height and thickness parameters.

Message 7 of 8
dbutts7
in reply to: Keith.Brown

So, after doing some homework and talking to Dan, the DW144 fittings loaded as part of the global library do have flanges, but don't have the angles used to clamp it all together. Agreed that it's not a simple task for automating - using MvParts is limited, and requires the user to have to place them manually, which the client didn't want to do.

After looking at it, the solution is probably better found in the FABsoftware components, where parts can be associated and quantified with the duct. We could probably fake it by adding work planes and base geometry to the DW144 fittings, but if you're trying to get weight quanitites out of the angles, then this defeats the purpose.

Hand this one off to the FAB garage monkeys, and they'll have a way to deal with it.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Keith.Brown

If you are just interested in Bill of Materials for the accessories for your duct then you don't really need to show the graphics.  You can add the information to the style of the duct and then create schedules to read that information.  I use an addin from EastCoast CAD/CAM that does just that.  It adds fabrication information to the AutoCAD MEP ductwork so you can automatically download to your cam machine.  You change the size of the ductwork and the fabrication information will automatically update.  The software will also automatically set your flange graphics based on the specification of the ductwork.  In addition the software comes with a complete library of fabrication ready ductwork along with the ability to easily create new fittings based on pre-existing templates and controllable parameters based on rules that you can create and control.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost