Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABS DVD Install

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
328 Views, 22 Replies

ABS DVD Install

Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Peter, Our company just had to upgrade all of your cad stations to allow us to run this latest version. If I now have to go to our company president and tell him that we now need DVD roms in all those stations you will surely feel the ground shake there while he is tearing me a new one. For a network installation this would not be a problem, but in our case $$$. I have a hard enough time explaining the cost of the subscription fee every year. Please don't get me wrong, I am on your side as far as the DVDs are concerned. It is the next logical step to limit the # of CDs needed for install. Just my 2 cents. Regards, ~Rob "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

Hi Rob - Two concerns/questions: 1. Just about every computer shipped out of Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. has a DVD drive. How is it you have just upgraded your machines with only CD drives? 2. Which content should I leave out to reduce the number of CDs? ;^) Seriously, we are doing all that we can to reduce the size of the product. But, we seem to fighting a losing battle with the new content and functionality that we add with each release.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

You could buy one external DVD rom drive to use for installation. That is what we will probably have to do. "Rob Ward" wrote in message news:40059ff0$1_1@statler... Peter, Our company just had to upgrade all of your cad stations to allow us to run this latest version. If I now have to go to our company president and tell him that we now need DVD roms in all those stations you will surely feel the ground shake there while he is tearing me a new one. For a network installation this would not be a problem, but in our case $$$. I have a hard enough time explaining the cost of the subscription fee every year. Please don't get me wrong, I am on your side as far as the DVDs are concerned. It is the next logical step to limit the # of CDs needed for install. Just my 2 cents. Regards, ~Rob "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

I don't have a DVD compatible CD player, so I too would have to go to my boss to ask for $$ in order to install the software. I would think this will be consistent with quite a few sites. On the up side I get a DVD player, on the downside I have to ask for money from my boss. Kent Elrod "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 6 of 23
Matt__W

Will it come bundled with DVD XCopy?? If so, you got my vote! 😉

Sounds like a good idea. We'll just have to either get more network licenses and lose the locals or get an external DVD drive.

~ Matt W, BVHis

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

"Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance! To me that's no problem. sp
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

DVD isn't a problem here either. The cost of an external dvd reader is extremely cheap, not worth worrying about. Myself, I'll just connect my laptop to the computer since the laptop has a dvd reader, so that is another way you can go, borrow someone's laptop that has dvd. Mike "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Peter, I do understand your dilemma with the product size growing. To answer you first question, we do not buy off the shelf PCs. This go around we decided to go with work stations are more easily upgraded and have the potential to be more powerful. Another benefit to this approach is that you don't get cornered into paying for all the unnecessary "bells and whistles". The people that responded all seem to have viable options. I just cringe at the thought of even asking for more $$$ no matter how small the amount. To answer your second question I don't expect anything to be left out for the $$$ we already pay. If anything I expect more out of the next release including, but not limited to a much more useful help system or at least a useful manual. I hope that you don't feel that I am wrong in feeling this way. I really like this software and it seems to fit my needs perfectly, but it is getting harder and harder to pitch its value to the "bean counters". We are getting off the topic of DVDs so I will stop my rant. Regards ~Rob "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:4005a620$1_1@statler... Hi Rob - Two concerns/questions: 1. Just about every computer shipped out of Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. has a DVD drive. How is it you have just upgraded your machines with only CD drives? 2. Which content should I leave out to reduce the number of CDs? ;^) Seriously, we are doing all that we can to reduce the size of the product. But, we seem to fighting a losing battle with the new content and functionality that we add with each release.
Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

DVD is not a concern for me either. -- R. Robert Bell, MCSE www.AcadX.com "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

Rob - Rant well-taken. Keep ranting! We have know about problems before we can fix them.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

"Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote > does anyone have a problem if future releases were > installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? As long as I can still do the installation from a shared network location, that shouldn't be a problem. None of my firm's CAD stations can read DVDs directly. Errr, are you asking because a new release is on the horizon? (Yes, I know you can't answer.)
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

DVD's would be great. Particularly if it means more content / functionality in the software. Shane "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Eeee! DVD means one disk instead of four or six CD. It's going to be as much content as they (Autodesk) will be able to provide. It's better to deal with a single disk in lieu of six, although the installation is an one-time process. After that your disks will rest on the shelf forever (i.e. till next revision, which is about same). sp "B Fry" wrote in message news:400c6427_2@newsprd01... > DVD's would be great. Particularly if it means more content / functionality > in the software. > > Shane > > "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in > message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... > Hey Everyone - > > A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were > installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? > > Thanks in advance! >
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

I understand the difference in capacity between a DVD and a CD. The original question was regarding "Future Releases" & "DVD's", hence I said DVD's. Shane "Slawomir Popiel" wrote in message news:400c897c_3@newsprd01... > Eeee! > DVD means one disk instead of four or six CD. It's going to be as much > content as they (Autodesk) will be able to provide. > It's better to deal with a single disk in lieu of six, although the > installation is an one-time process. After that your disks will rest on the > shelf forever (i.e. till next revision, which is about same). > sp
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

Our desktops come with cd drives only, cdrw if specially requested so would need to search out DVD drive. They are out there but still not that common in our corporate world except for laptops. As long as the install (standalone licence) can be done from a mapped network DVD drive cant see any problems. -- Regards, Robin Capper. CAD Manager. The Warehouse Group Ltd New Zealand. Email; robin.capper@thewarehouse.co.nz "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

If you put the setup info on a DVD, do you need a DVD player to read the information??? Isn't it, theoretically, the same as installing from a CD?? You're not putting any movies on it, just data. If so, you could just copy the info to a network drive and install from there. I haven't tried this on my DVD RW drive at home, that's why I'm asking the question. Has anyone tried this, if so, does it work the same as reading a CD, but without the DVD drive?? -- Matt W There are 3 kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't. "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

Peter As a follow up, I sent in a request to our IT dept to have a DVD installed for future software installs. As I expected a lot of eyebrows were raised and lots of questioning about why I would need such an extravagant item. I swear the IT guys must think I am gonna watch Nemo all day long instead of working. Luckily my boss stepped in and told them to stop being numbsculls and order the $40 item and get in installed. He told them to get me what I say I need or we will do it ourselves. The IT guys must have felt bad because suddenly they offered me a new computer with the latest Pentium 2.8Ghz processor with the 800Mhz bus, 1Gb ram, Quadro 4 750 video card etc. So the issue went from whether or not I could justify a $40 DVD player to my getting a new computer that costs approx $2500. Go figure. So thanks for proposing to move the software to DVD, I am getting a new computer out of the deal, and the computer I use right now is not that bad. Kent "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

HI Kent! Glad I could help! ;^) Now let's see if we can make ABS work out even better for you!
Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

Just reading this one. Yes go with DVD. I install via network server so I really only use the disks once. I have had some problems in the past getting the second disk to accept (probably an older drive) I have also had good luck copying all 3 disks to one directory and starting the install from there. Ed Lowe "Peter Terwilliger [Autodesk]" wrote in message news:40059c39$1_2@statler... Hey Everyone - A quick question - does anyone have a problem if future releases were installed from DVDs instead of three or four (!) CDs? Thanks in advance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost