Community
AutoCAD MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Osnap Issues MEP 2016 SP1

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JoeVernice
812 Views, 6 Replies

3D Osnap Issues MEP 2016 SP1

AutoCAD MEP 2016 SP1, Windows 7 x64, 16GB, Firepro W7000, Certified Driver 5.201.2401.0

In any visual style except wireframe (surprise!), when I try to copy an object using osnaps the basepoint osnap works as expected, however, the second point osnap will not pick a point on a BLOCK properly. The second point osnap works as expected on solid objects (box) and MEP objects. It appears just blocks are affected. Running osnaps are set and on as are running 3D osnaps. This is driving me crazy! Can anyone else reproduce this behavior?

BTW, this was also posted in the AutoCAD Forum in response to a post by mdhutchinson.

JMV

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dbutts7
in reply to: JoeVernice

Sounds like you may have a corrupted drawing - can you post the file so we can check it out?

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Engineering Technology Manager - Gannett Fleming

Autodesk Expert Elite

Revit Certified Professional/Autodesk Certified Instructor

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

The MEP BIM/CAD Engineer Blog

Message 3 of 7
JoeVernice
in reply to: dbutts7

Ok, so I dug a little deeper into this and it turns out the odd osnap behavior only happens under the following conditions:

A viewport configuration of two or more modelspace viewports where one of the viewports is set to display as wireframe and the other viewport is set to any other visualstyle such as shaded or conceptual. The odd osnap behavior is seen in the non-wireframe viewport. The effect is most apparent when orthomode is on.

See the attached drawing started from an out-of-the-box template of a simple 3D cube and a simple block of a 3D cube. Issue the copy command, select the 3D cube, hit enter, then try to snap to one of the corners of the block with orthomode on. Now set the visualstyle of both viewports to wireframe or conceptual and do the same.

Thanks,

JMV

Message 4 of 7
dbutts7

Quick question - is this just the AutoCAD Snaps, or are the MEP snaps also affected? If it's just core AutoCAD snaps, it may be a platform issue that Autodesk has to fix. I'm opening the file now, will test both.

thanks - db

David A. Butts

Autodesk Expert Elite

Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, MEP, Plant 3D, BIM Collaborate Pro Subject Matter Expert

Message 5 of 7
dbutts7

OK, you're not crazy. I replicated the error where the snaps don't appear for the second point in any of the shaded views. I did go back to the visual styles manager, and turned on all of the edge settings in different styles, but that didn't seem to make a difference. If you're on subscription, please go to your support page and get a case started. I'll do the same on my end so we can get this moved to the right folks.

I didn't try this with the MEP snaps but I expect the behavior is the same. For the meantime, I'd jsut work in wireframe for your 3D views until we can get a resolution

Please note the all of the forums will be ofline starting at 12 midnight EST tonight (3/4) until at least 5:00pm EST Saturday for site maintenance. Once we get some answers, we can return to the forum posts for updates.

thanks! db

David A. Butts

Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 6 of 7
JoeVernice
in reply to: dbutts7

Thanks for taking the time to verify this. I am on subscription and will now open a support case.

Thanks again,

JMV

Message 7 of 7
JoeVernice

Just an update on my prior posts. I opened a support case back in March and the object snap issue was confirmed and logged with development. Installed AutoCAD MEP 2017 along with update 2017.1 and this object snap issue still persists. Working object snaps are a fundamental part of CAD! Please fix issues like this before adding more “bling”.

JMV

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost