AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does a "drawing1" open whenever I open mechanical?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
not2013
442 Views, 11 Replies

why does a "drawing1" open whenever I open mechanical?

What is the purpose of "drawing1" purpose and why am I ask to save it when closing?

It a waste of time everytime.

thx

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: not2013

Please set STARTUP sysvar value to 2 to see zero doc state

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 3 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

Thanks I did just now finally have time to make this change.  And guess what I cannot open any dwgs with mech 2013 now.  I get lots of error messages and then it crashes.

WAY TO GO AUTODESK!  Getting worse with each new release.

Can't use it anymore!

Good job way to destroy a once good software. 

Is autowreck doing on purpose or are they just out of grasp with reality?

Message 4 of 12
acwtzwegers

Good, calm...

Opening a blank drawing (Drawing1.dwg) is not a recent innovation... it's in fact something that AutoCAD has always done.

When starting up, AutoCAD (and Mechanical in particular) load up all sorts of setting from your templates, scripts you may have set or not and this is done from your default template, which is then used to generate Drawing1.dwg.

Without an active drawing you also do not have much of an interface.

What you could complain about is why AutoCAD uses this old fashioned method (introduced 1980), not why they messed up "once good software" - because it's never been different. Of course, if they changed it... you'd get people with exactly that complaint.

Message 5 of 12
Sridhar-Autodesk

Can you attach few screen shots of the error messages?

Which version of AutoCAD Mechanical is being used?

Is any customization done (like; Ribbon customization, custom routines..) or is the installation out of the box.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 6 of 12
not2013

Thank you so much for your concern.  It crashed about 20 times in a roll.  So I logged onto a different comp.  I final got mech2013 to open a dwg later in the day on my comp, and quickly changed STARTUP    back to  "0".

Its running a little different than before, but I plan on using it later today. 

Have a nice day!

Message 7 of 12
steve216586

First, are you trying to open a drawing through Windows Explorer or are you starting the program from the desktop icon?

Second, do you have a startup routine or 3rd party add-on changing drawing settings in the "NEW" file? This could be a lisp for custom toolbars, loading other lisps, etc. If you do this it is the same as drawing in it, so it is no longer "empty" and AutoCAD is designed to not let you close a drawing you've edited without asking first.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 8 of 12
not2013
in reply to: acwtzwegers

Thank you for your reply.

Opening a blank drawing (Drawing1.dwg) is not a recent innovation... it's in fact something that AutoCAD has always done.

Yes you are correct, my question should have been

Why do I have to save it (drawing1) everytime I open the app?    I was so angry at the time wasted I fired one off without forethought.   My apologies.

This is the change I strongly disagree with and it has not always been this way. 

WHY is my time purposely being wasted? 

What is the reason for me to have to answer the question "Save changes to Drawing1.dwg"   

WHAT CHANGES? 

I did not make any changes what so ever.

This is like ordeirng a big mac @ mcd's and being ask if you want cream and sugar with that?

No I don't what cream and sugar with my bigmac.  Then I think that the person has metal issues.

The same goes for autodesk I am wonderind if they have metal issues.  That would be a logical reason why they are purposely wasting my time.  It is not a good reason, but it would then make sense to me as to why they are forcing me to waste my time.

Why do i have to answer an unnecessary question 1000's of times a year?    

How much time is that wasting in a year? how bout nation wide?

When starting up, AutoCAD (and Mechanical in particular) load up all sorts of setting from your templates, scripts you may have set or not and this is done from your default template, which is then used to generate Drawing1.dwg.

Yes, these are all good things which I understand, but in the USA no one is ever suppose to waste another persons time.

What you could complain about is why AutoCAD uses this old fashioned method (introduced 1980),

Why do we still use the wheel?  Maybe you should watch Southpark, move to Canada and then put some square tires on your vehicle. 

IF IT WORKS you cares what method it uses, until it waste time.  Then as an American the quesiton needs to be why is my time being wasted?

Good day Sir!

Message 9 of 12
steve216586

"...but in the USA no one is ever suppose to waste another persons time."

I hope this is meant to be sarcastic. The USA population is not the perfect example of manners and consideration shown to others. Far from it in a country where everyone is very self-centered. I think Plato said, "I am, therefore, I deserve." Oh no, I'm mistaken that was my 10 year old nephew and every other kid in the USA for the past 20 years. 

But back to the topic at hand, you didn't answer any questions from those trying to help.

Why are you wasting our time. 🙂

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 10 of 12
not2013
in reply to: steve216586

First, are you trying to open a drawing through Windows Explorer or are you starting the program from the desktop icon?

Opening the way I have been opening files for a long time.  Whethrer I am using Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Solidworks, Dreamweaver, Excel, power point, winword, Adobe Premiere, media player, Itunes and so on.

I click on the file to open it and the correct app will open.    The reason I have been doing this is because it saves time instread of opening the app, and then opening the file. If you click on the file and do both at the same time.

It's All About Time Saving Steps.

Second, do you have a startup routine or 3rd party add-on changing drawing settings in the "NEW" file? This could be a lisp for custom toolbars, loading other lisps, etc. If you do this it is the same as drawing in it, so it is no longer "empty" and AutoCAD is designed to not let you close a drawing you've edited without asking first.

I'm not sure.  I didn't put anything like that in there.  I understand what you are saying is that it will forever waste my time.    In the past I had autolisp auto load when I opened an ACAD dwg file, but it would never ask me to save it unless I did something to the dwg my self.  This behaviour has changed.  I just wanted to know why (why is it wasting my time)?

I bill by the hour, so I will not complain anymore.  I will bill instead.

Thanks for your input.

Enjoy your summer!

Message 11 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

I'm sorry I just do not have time for this.  Way behind on schedule as it is. I will just let it waste my time and bill accordingly.

Enjoy your summer!   

Message 12 of 12
not2013
in reply to: steve216586

@steve216586 wrote:

"...but in the USA no one is ever suppose to waste another persons time."

I hope this is meant to be sarcastic. The USA population is not the perfect example of manners and consideration shown to others. Far from it in a country where everyone is very self-centered. I think Plato said, "I am, therefore, I deserve." Oh no, I'm mistaken that was my 10 year old nephew and every other kid in the USA for the past 20 years. 

But back to the topic at hand, you didn't answer any questions from those trying to help.

Why are you wasting our time. 🙂

No one has answered my orginal question why was it changed to waste the customers time? IS there a real (or logical) reason for this time wasting change?

This entire thread is based on autodesk wasting it's customers time. So if autodesk didn't waste my time I would not be posting here, EVER, except to help others. I do not have time to help others because invenotr and mech2013 are creating lots of extra clicks to do the same job I've been doing for 5 years now.

Oh, your an American Hater.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,"

Any adults whom behave selfishly inside of USA are being unAmerican and are therefore can be considered a traitor. So these people are not really Americans.  You can't be a traitor and a patriot at the same time. You can only be a fraud.  Children are children until there adults.

Platoism or plutocracy is totally unAmerican, and thats because Plato was an unstable person. It takes sanity to preseve freedom, insanity destroys freedom.  Just like this time wasting change from autodesk.  It takes time out of my life that I will never get back.  Inventor destroys freedom and I demand to know why! Todate I havn't read any logical reason for this change.

Until I receive a believable logical reason for this change I am assuming for here out that some or more members of autodesk's top management are mentally unstable, and I recommend mental examinations of all top management at autodesk.

for Steve the American Hater whom uses American inventions!

In closing I'm sure your a real American hater @steve216586 and not a fraud.  So the 1st thing you must do is remove all American inventions from your life.

Lets start with the internet, made by Americans in America.  No more internet for you ever again.

Autodesk is also an American company. ACAD was created by Americans in America, same with inventor.  Delete all autodesk products from your computer.

Microsoft products all American too.  Same with Linux, Unix, Fortran, autolisp, c++, java, DOS and so on. Delete all of these computer languages from your computer.

How about computers themselves, Air Conditioning, dishwashers, running water, electricity, librarys and fire departments. Oh and airplanes and airports! No more flying for you, sorry!  The list is much longer, but lets say this is all you are required to do to keep from being a fraud.

Enjoy your summer!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost