AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewbase (Baseview) - Moving projected views/sections to other layout sheets

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
david.penney00
5603 Views, 10 Replies

Viewbase (Baseview) - Moving projected views/sections to other layout sheets

Hi,

I have quite a number of projected views and sections of an Arrangement all done using Viewbase function. They look great....

To keep all views and sections at a reasonable scale, some of these other remaining views and sections need to go on separate sheets (LAYOUTS), sheet 2, sheet 3, etc..

My question is this....

How do I move/copy the projected views or sections onto the other sheets (LAYOUTS)?

Also, the TOP view (my actual plan view) on sheet 1, is showing a lot more of the Arrangement than is necessary.

Is there any way to "clip" this view to show only what is required of the arrangement...?

Refer to attached.....

Any help would be appreciated....

Cheers

DP

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

How are you creating your sections. Are you using the VIEWSECTION command. It is not possible to move just the section view alone from one layout to another without removing the linkage between section view and parent view.

The only option i could see here would be to block the section view and insert it into a new layout. However by doing this you may need to explode after insert to do any changes to the view and also it won't be reflecting any updates to the parent view.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 11

Hi Vinod,

Yes, I am using Right Click on the Base view....Creat View....Section (_viewsection).

Then creating a Sectional View or Views as required and trying to "move" these and normal projected views to other Layout sheets.

If I had to keep all the required views on one Layout (1 sheet), the scale would be far too small.

So a Multi-sheet drawing would be perfect with all views (projected or sectional) at a reasonable scale.

I don't mind the link breakage between the Base (parent view) and the Projected or sectional view (transferred to another sheet), as long as I can reproduce the updated view of course and relocate it to its specific sheet....

Not perfect but better than nothing...

But the main question is, how can I move these views (linked or unlinked) to the other sheets.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 11

I have already tried to break View Alignment....and Copy with Basepoint and Insert the Copy, or Block the View, or WBlock the View, but nothing works.
Message 5 of 11

Can you send mer your drawing. I will take a look and get back to you soon.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 6 of 11

Sorry Vinod, I'm afraid I can't do that, because

a) It is Intellectual Property Equipment
b) It is a huge 120 MB file.....

I will try to produce a lighter generic drawing.

But I would have thought just producing any Viewbase drawing with views and sections - even by yourself - could be used for testing/trying out purposes.....

Cheers.

Message 7 of 11

I tested it out and it looks like the section view is associated to the base view and can't be moved to a different drawing directly. Another way to work this out would be to create the base view and the section view in the second layout and hide the base view using hide objects.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-mechanical/downloads/caas/ConnectHelp/autocadmechanica...

Will this be fine for you to do for time being as a workaround.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 8 of 11

Hi Vinod,

In actuality, this is what I ended up doing, and although I got my required views, it made the overall file huge and almost unworkable.

I think it would work quite well this way for individual components or very small assemblies. But the larger the assemblies the more unworkable the drawing, doing it this way.

Shame really, as it is a good system, if Autodesk could enable it to move views and sections, from the initial baseview, to other subsequent sheets of the same file.

Many thanks for your time Vinod on this matter.

Cheers.

Message 9 of 11

Thanks David for the detailed clarification. I will pass your concerns and improvement thoughts to our development team and will add this as an enhancement request for future release of AutoCAD Mechanical.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 10 of 11
fibocad
in reply to: david.penney00

You can try copying the sheet frame again within the same layout in order to produce a plot file of the section inside a frame, if you want to plot a multisheet PDF file it's not a good solution for you. but then you can try copying the entire file -> insert the model as an xref file, then you'll have 2 files associated and you will be able to plot multisheet PDF file. as I said bad solution but works until other news from Autodesk.

Regards

Message 11 of 11

Has there been any progress made on? I am running into the same issue of needing to place a section view on a different layout than the parent view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost