AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DDEDIT for double click dimension editing

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
ddonahue
6634 Views, 36 Replies

Using DDEDIT for double click dimension editing

how do i enable ddedit so when i double click on a dimension, it brings up this rather than power dimensioning? i have tried to change the cui to no avail.  the first picture shows what i get when i double click any dimension.  the second is what i want to happen.  the third is how my cui is configured.  this behavior existed in 2008 but since going to 2013+ this has been the behavior.  i am currently on 2015 mechanical.Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
ddonahue
in reply to: Dennis.Ossadnik

that sucks.  we have product design suite here, but 99% we could get by with plain autocad and not mechanical.  anyways, can you explain to me why autodesk would list a double click action for dimensions in the cui, but then have it do absolutely nothing?  if ampoweredit is forced, why even give me the illusion that it could be changed?

Message 22 of 37
steve216586
in reply to: ddonahue

Check this link and see if it helps you in any way.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 23 of 37
ddonahue
in reply to: steve216586

im sorry, i fail to see how that link was relevant.  if it helps, the cui i am currently using was generated in 2013 i believe.  

i do know how to tranfer over custom tool bars, which i have already done.  but how would this affect the double click action on a dimension?  you have also mentioned "vanilla" dimensions, but i am not sure what you are talking about here.

Message 24 of 37
steve216586

Would you take a screen shot of your CUI interface while you are in the transfer tab and clicking on the arrow which displays your .cuix files which are available? I'm not understanding why you don't have the All Customization files, Main Customization file (acadm.cuix), then a line with yours and other  .ciux files while in the "Customize" tab. Then, in the "transfer" tab you should have the Main customization file (acadm.ciux) and acad.cuix available, as well as NEW, OPEN, SAVEAS & NEW FILE.

Message 25 of 37
ddonahue

Untitled.png

Message 26 of 37
ddonahue

i do have all of the ones available in the customize tab, just not the transfer tab.Untitled2.png

Message 27 of 37
steve216586

That is very odd. Did your company purchase just Mechanical? It wasn't bundled with regular AutoCAD? Ours is. We have Mech & Elec with Vanilla bundled with each. That is my only guess and I'm quite embarassed, if that is the case, that I didn't think of it earlier.

I thought any time a lateral version was purchased the vanilla came with it.

Message 28 of 37
ddonahue

we have 2015 product design suite premium

i was under the same impresson about regular acad too.

Message 29 of 37
steve216586

I have no answer. Did you rename the acad.cuix to yours? My CUI looks like the attached. I can transfer toolbars back and forth from acad.cuix to my mech.cuix.

I just opened Vanilla out of curiosity and all my .cuix files are available there too except the mechanical main customization one, which makes sense.

Message 30 of 37
ddonahue

my cuix file was created in the transfer tab, with a save as option on a new file.  it was only created to migrate my workspace and custom tool bar to new versions and a new computer.

can you explain "vanilla" dimensions?

Message 31 of 37
steve216586

I didn't think you renamed it but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Vanilla dimensions are just the plain "normal" AutoCAD dimensions, not the Power dimensions associated with ACADMech. I hate those. I tried to use them in 2007 but they caused more work for me than what they were worth. Since associative objects appeared, I have no need for them now since I don't use scaled areas. That feature is used in conjunction with the Power dimensions from what I read. I am willing to bet, since 2015 doesn't offer you the option, AutoDesk doesn't want users to do what I am doing and have disabled the ability to use the vanilla dimensioning in Mechanical 2015. They are forcing the scaled areas and Power dimensioning usage from here on out. Sounds like just another reason for people to migrate to Inventor or another parametric CAD program. Which may be the ultimate goal. 😉

Message 32 of 37
ddonahue

are the vanilla dimension associated with different commands?  as far as i know, i am not using any sort of power dimensioning.  i also have no idea what you mean by scaled areas, but i am pretty sure i do not use that either.  

Message 33 of 37
steve216586

So wait. You don't use Power dimensions? Attached is what the vanilla commands are-(cui-dims). Then there is the "Double Click" editing action associated with those dimensions-(DIM-EDIT). Are yours the same as both pics? These are the only things which control the action you are looking for as far as opening the regular text editor for dim text.

Now I'm confused. I thought you wanted to double click on a dimension and have the simple text editor appear. Not the three tabbed Power dimension editor.

Message 34 of 37
ddonahue

if by vanilla dims you mean the commands that are in the dimension tool bar, those are what i use.  i do not use that tool bar per se, but i do use the commands such as dimlinear, dimaligned, dimangular, etc.  in my cui, i have TEDIT set as the double click action for dimensions.  however, when i double click a dimension (created with the dimlinear command) it opens ampoweredit everytime, no matter what the cui tells it to do.  i do not like this behavior and do not want to use ampoweredit.  

dims.png

CUI.PNG

Message 35 of 37
jholder5

Years later, the same problems persist; many thanks, Autodesk!

I am having precisely the problem described in this post, yet cannot find a solution - any chance you figured this out?

Jaime Holder
AutoCAD Mechanical | Inventor Professional | 3DS Max | Vault | HSM Express 2018

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below
Message 36 of 37
jayanath.perera
in reply to: jholder5

Hi,

You  want to double-click a dimension in AutoCAD Mechanical, but prevent the AutoCAD Mechanical dimension editing command from being invoked.  If you want to double-click  a dimension and get the AutoCAD dimension editing command to be invoked, why don't you use plain old vanilla AutoCAD, instead of AutoCAD Mechanical? Vanilla AutoCAD ships with AutoCAD Mechanical, by default.

Hope this helps

Jayanath Perera

Message 37 of 37
jholder5
in reply to: jholder5

Should have updated this long ago - the issue I had was that while I was running AutoCAD Mechanical in VANILLA mode, my trusted locations was seeing the ACADM.lsp file and was loading power dimension tool each time - removed acadm.lsp from support file search path and vanilla CAD worked exactly as expected.

Jaime Holder
AutoCAD Mechanical | Inventor Professional | 3DS Max | Vault | HSM Express 2018

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost