AutoCAD Mechanical General Discussion

AutoCAD Mechanical General Discussion

DMCasale
Message 1 of 1 (180 Views)

UCS Normal to a Surface

180 Views, 0 Replies
09-13-2012 01:57 PM

If I have a 3D surface in AutoCAD, I can apply a UCS to any point on the surface by selecting it, and it automatically creates the UCS with the Z-axis as normal to the surface. This is perfect.

The issue that I am having, is that I am going to be programming a LISP to apply many small features (100k) that each must be normal to the surface at the individual point, and the surface is constantly changing. When I try using point inputs (via keyboard in manual trials), I am unable to easily place a UCS that is normal to the surface. If I put a point on the surface, and float over with my mouse, it finds the point and the surface and places is properly as well. It will also work with a line on the surface, finding a "nearest" with the mouse and applying the UCS properly to the surface.

The main thing is that I need to automate this, so that it does not require user input. If there is another way to find the normal to a conformal surface at a point in autocad, I assume I would also be able to get that to work.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.