AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off Auto Format for text

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
BearsFan
10358 Views, 6 Replies

Turn off Auto Format for text

Heading says it all.

I just want to turn off auto-formating of text. So that I can format as i need to.  Permenantly.

I have tried to find the way to turn it off.  I am sure I missed it.

We have formatting rules were I work and the autofomat causes more problems and solves none.  I just want to turn it off.  I will do my own formatting.

AutoCAD Mechanical 2015

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
acwtzwegers
in reply to: BearsFan

There is no auto format for text... but perhaps you are refering to the default standards that are implemented by AutoCAD Mechanical?

To change the defaults implemented on your drawing - you will need to edit the template that has been set at the bottom of A > Options > AM:Standards.

However, while this is the default - when you start making text objects, the ribbon changes into a kind of "Word" ribbon and on the left you can select all sort of fonts and such.

What you should be aware of is that AutoCAD Mechanical's main feature is easily implemented and upheld company standards... the default text style nad such are part of that. Make sure you are really allowed to mess with the template(s) before you do.

And as general "Mechanical" advise to frustrated "Vanilla" users: go with the automation and you will haave an easier, faster workexperience - go against it and just get more and more frustrated. Your company paid extra for that - perhaps you should make use of it?

Sure its "fun" to set up own text and dim styles, make up your own layers on the fly (and have collegues do the same) and then spend hours of useless work to change drawings by others to your own tastes (move x from layer y to z)... but Mechanica is basically set up to relieve everyone of that.
Message 3 of 7
BearsFan
in reply to: acwtzwegers

Thanks acwtzwegers.  but i think you misunderstood what I mean.

I'll provide a detailed example.

I do the following:

>mtext (enter)

1.(space)Testing due to

increased size.

I get:

(tab)1.(tab)Testing due to

(tab)2.(tab)increased size.

Basically AutoCAD is formatting the text that "I inserted it exacly how I want it to look" and changing it to "how it wants it to look."

I am not talking about a text style.  I am talking about formatting of text.

I agree with a company should try and adapt to autodesks layers.  However this has no relevance on the issue on hand.  And is not always going to be accepted by the Drafting Manager who has been in place for 40+ years.  The one thing I have learned about draftsman and AutoCad users, is that they are the most stubburn kind of people.  In fact I am still the only person I work with who has adapted to the ribbon. But that is another topic for another day.

Message 4 of 7
acwtzwegers

what if you pull out the MTEXT box larger?

But ok... in the middle of the text editor ribbon (that you get when you do mtext) there is "bullets and numbering"... use the arrow for the pull-down and switch it OFF.

If it turns back on, the default template was saved with it ON and you will need to edit that.
Message 5 of 7
BearsFan
in reply to: acwtzwegers

Thanks.  I knew there had to be something I had missed.

It wasn't a text box size issue.  I was manually inserting the (enter) because of the space I had in that particular section.

Bullets and Numbering was Off.  But in double checking it I saw 6 lines below it that there is a spot to check or uncheck 

"allow Auto Bullets and Numbering"

and " Allow Bullets and Lists"

at the moment doesn't seem to be drawing based, and once i changed it i opened 5 different drawings and was able to insert the text as I wished.  even closed the application and re-opened and still performing as desired.  Again thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Message 6 of 7
Korvak

Oh, many, many thanks. This had been bugging me for quite a while now too. Finally decided to look it up. Good thing I did, should have done this a year ago, lol.

Message 7 of 7
JeffatSN
in reply to: Korvak

I had issues with everytime I typed something like "(E)REINF.  CONC." it would automatically turn everything before the first period into a bulleted list. I finally found the answer to stop that: set "MTEXTDETECTSPACE" to zero.  (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to...)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost