AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snaps

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
acwtzwegers
419 Views, 5 Replies

Snaps

Alright, it's (I guess) a common issue in AutoCAD Mechanical that because there are two workflows countering eachother (the AutoCAD and the Mechanical) that snaps run amoc... the given solution has always been "use the power snap settings" etc... (blahdiblah)

But in 2015 the problem is seemingly getting progressively worse - I HATE "NEAREST" (I rather have no snaps), but ACM 2015 continuously makes me end up with just "Nearest"... which annoys me to no end.

Has anyone a solution that will just actually retain the snapsettings I give through powersnaps or do I need to customize "nearest" completely out of the software?

(for info: nearest is worse then no snaps, because stuff just goes everywhere w/o any form of control or actual position... The utter worst is the stupid idea of ACM to switch nearest on when you need to click between lines, like on hatch or contour trace.)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
steve216586
in reply to: acwtzwegers

In OPTIONS/Standards tab, you can set up filters, (four I believe but may be five separate filter lists) to eliminate any snap you do not wish to use while still having the ability to select a particular snap on the fly either through typing the snap shortcut: i.e. NEA, PERP, etc. or you can use the OSNAP toolbar.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 6
acwtzwegers
in reply to: steve216586

I realize that... (The filters however do not do anything about which snaps are active, just about on which objects they are active if they are.)

My issue is more with the automatic snap settings some am_ commands stick in, as an override on whatever settings one may have. For one, quite a few of them are illogical in our drawings (nearest for hatch or contour trace is about the worst choice ever if you draw thin walled profiles.)

If the command does not complete as expected (say, the selection goes wrong, ACM decides it's the wrong object type, Esc is pressed or whatever), often the un-asked-for snap setting of the command lingers and the own settings (however set) are gone.... again... and again.. and again.

I was hoping someone knew a system setting that would block ACM command-based snaps completely.
Message 4 of 6
steve216586

"automatic snap settings some am_ commands stick in"

I'm not sure what you are describing by saying this. Am commands don't carry snaps within them. Objects do offer certain snaps, such as a circle will allow you to Center or Quadrant snap. But that is only if the particular OSNAP is toggled "on" in your OSNAP settings. NEA OSNAP should never be an option in any way, command nor object, unless you have it active in OSNAP settings.

I would try an experiment:

Turn off all OSNAPS in the settings menu called up by the right click action on the icon at the bottom of the workspace.

Also, do the same in OPTIONS OSNAP filters.   All of the filters!

Then, try your commands which are giving you problems, and only use the toolbar or command line to invoke the OSNAP you desire.

See if that eliminates the "phantom" OSNAPs from activating.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 5 of 6
acwtzwegers
in reply to: steve216586

Alright: the results ( upon switching off all snaps and filters):
(I'd like to remark that if one has snaps on, switching off the filters will only cause more unwanted snaps, not more... that is why they are called filters)

I drew a rectangle in AM_0 (just to have something for the commands to work with)

- amcentline: switches on the snap icon, gives me first mid, then perp, draws center line, switches the snap icon off again.
- amhatch_45_2: switches on the snap icon, gives me nearest, hatches within the rectangle, switches the snap icon off again.
- ampowerdim: switches the snaps icon on, gives me end and int to measure between, then nearest to place the dimension line.

etc... etc...
Message 6 of 6
acwtzwegers

Yes!

I can switch this type of behavior off in Options > AM:Preferences > Snap Settings (by setting them to User instead of System).

*decides not to because in fact for centerline etc they are handy*

*continues on a quest to just eliminate "nea" *

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost