AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale area bug?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
362 Views, 8 Replies

Scale area bug?

When I create a scale area, and make it create a viewport in paperspace...

Untitled2.png

In paperspace I can then use the viewcube in the viewport... and rotate...

Untitled3.png

... when printing it will ask:

Untitled4.png

You click "Yes"....

Untitled5.png

And while the scale is fixed... the viewport is still rotated?

This may be "as built" - but it is not the behaviour one would expect from the scale area functionality.

Does anyone know a fix? (or at least a way to make this impossible?)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
steve216586
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not sure I follow what your end result is supposed to be. Do you want th eobject unrotated?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

What you can see is that part of the rotated scale area (in model) is no longer visible... as such... yes: I want it back unrotated.

To me, the expected behaviour for the whole scale area functionality is that it will restore the views to the scale area ('s settings) if you have changed it.

It does that if you (dynamically) zoom in the view, or pan etc - one would expect the same for rotating the view.

In fact it does that if you use the old method of rotating the view (through the UCS and PLAN commands).

To me it looks as if the viewcube method just has not been added/updated to the scale area functionality yet.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Oh... besides: why give me a window asking if i want to update the viewports if nothing happens?
Message 5 of 9
steve216586

I don't see a difference between the second and third pics in your first post. If you don't want the resulting plot to be rotated, then why rotate it in the viewport using the Viewcube? How does the program know you do not intend to plot it in that rotation even though it is not that way in the original, modelspace, scaled area? As you stated, if you Zoom or perform another action which changes the scale in the viewport and/or in the scaled area, then when the prompt asks you to reset the scale that sounds like normal behavior to me.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

Ok, it seems as if you do not want to understand but... again:

I don't want the view to be rotated.... I don't want it to be zoomed either...

I want the view to retain connection to the modelspace scale area.

That is the whole point of the scale area functionality - else why give me a popup that asks me to restore the "right zoom conditions?"

In all other cases, also when you rotate it in old methods, the view will be completely restored to the scale area settings (scale, orientation, pan etc)... but not if you use the viewcube.

I just think it's something the Mechanical team has overlooked to update as the AutoCAD team added the viewcube.

As, at least to me (and several users that pointed this out to me... I wouldn't even have tried it) this is an oversight.
Message 7 of 9
steve216586

I'm trying to understand. I just don't think the scale area settings have anything to do with rotation in a viewport. I am unable to see anything which would indicate angle of rotation is being defined. I don't think the warning has anything to do with resetting rotation either. The viewcube sets the rotation value in a particular viewport. Which may be a unique angle from any other viewport. Would you want all viewports to "auto" rotate to "World" when plotting? That sounds like a headache waiting to happen if I purposely set an angle of rotation in one or more of my viewports.

BTW, I also get that warning when I try to print a ARCH D sized layout to an 11x17 sheet of paper. I believe it is just indicating that I am about to plot to a different scale than what any of the following may be set to: annotation scale, viewport or scaled area. If I select "yes" to change then in this case my plot is not correct. Unless of course I am plotting to ARCH D. I typicall override this warning by selecting "no" to rescale. Unless I have zoomed in the viewport or scaled area. Most of the time I lock viewports. Furthermore, once I have my scaled area set in my viewport, I will only edit objects in Modelspace.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Ahh, that explains a lot: you are not using them as I've been trained to...

Part of the whole point of them is that you'll never have to lock a viewport again... because it will restore the viewport to what you set it as. (well, unless you have used the viewcube).

I don't want it to return to the "world" ucs.. I want it to retain the connection between viewport and scale area - as that is the point. (which you apparently have been overlooking: when you use this propperly (your papersize does not matter) everything will actually always come out on the propper scale after you press "yes").

Normally, after you press "yes", you should not be able to see the scale area in model (the red rectangle) in the viewport in paper - because they would exactly match eachother...

...unless you use the viewcube.

If you want to "mess around" ( have scales like 1:4.6456546546 or 1:234, or rotate views etc), you use autocad mview and create a regular viewport. (which, after you have gotten it as you'd like it to be... you'll have to lock or it'll get messed up easily again.)

We have an extra button that just does the resetting of the scale area viewports w/o having to print (and cancel), our mview is disabled: Irrelevant of papersize... we print out to scale. It is actually one of the best parts of AutoCAD Mechanical (!)

Truely brilliant it becomes if you add parametrics and move the scale area's in model with those to match your part: change the parametric length, update viewports - another drawing all done.

Message 9 of 9
steve216586

That sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it further. I've used them as detail views not whole page views. I just started using annotative properties last year so I have a ways to catch up. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost