AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Only Lock outs

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Krazi
343 Views, 1 Reply

Read Only Lock outs

Autodesk Mechanical 2011 Stand Alone, Networked and some AIS 2011 Installations Clients use Windows XP (SP-3) and Windows 7 (64-Bit) We have been plagued here recently with the following problem, and I’m desperate for a solution. Digging through Forum Threads I can see that something very similar also occurred in 2009 as well http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Mechanical/ACM2009-Read-Only-drawings-issue/m-p/2286629/highli... Situation: Engineer (1) will open a drawing located on the file server. He or/she will commence to working within said drawing. Sometime throughout the day Engineer (b) will open same drawing concurrently. Problem: For some unknown reason AutoCAD appears to go stupid, and lets Engineer (b) make changes to the drawing unbeknownst to Engineer (a). When engineer (a) goes to save his work he is told by AutoCAD that he is read only and he cannot save his changes without doing a “saveas”. On the server engineer (a) has a dwl and Engineer (b) also has a dwl2. This is causing chaos trying to keep revisions current.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Krazi

i can think of similar situations however it will take you a bit of trial and error to see if any are applicable...

1. not that you are using xrefs or anything but try switching the status of "allow other users to make changes to xrefs".

2. sometimes you cannot save... using the save button. try typing in "save" and you will get a real save not a quick save. this allows you more powe rto push the save back onto the server. it may be worth a try.

3. at times we suspected a clock sync issue that caused autocad or more accurately the computers to tell autocad that the time of access was different than it actually was thus confusing the user access rights. i would check that just out of interest.

4. do some testing with non CAD files. ie try multiple users opening the same word or excel file and see if therre is a conflict detected. if it does not behave as expected then i would speak to the I.T. dept and get them to fix their server.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost