AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Dimensioning on VIEWBASE

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
768 Views, 2 Replies

Quick Dimensioning on VIEWBASE

My company has been using SOLVIEW for years to create 2D's on 3D parts on AutoCAD Mechanical.  When we updated to 2015, we had some issues with it creating section views properly.  After doing some research, it pointed to using VIEWBASE.  For the most part, VIEWBASE works very well for us.  However, one thing I noticed is that QUICKDIMENSION does not work on a VIEWBASE views.  The only way to create the dimension is to use the standard ordinate dimension command.  Using SOLVIEW with view ports, QUICKDIMENSION worked very well.  With the VIEWBASE, it acts like there is no geometry to select.  Is QUICKDIMENSION supposed to work on VIEWBASE views?  Or are we stuck using just the standard dimension commands?  I also attached a dwg so you can open it and try for yourself if needed.  The view in the paper space was created using VIEWBASE.  Thanks,

Kevin

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jcp
Advocate
in reply to: Anonymous

I have found 2 way to use Ordinate dimensions with view base drawings, the first is pretty ugly and the second fairly easy.

1) Option : In model space set the ucs on the face of the 3d solid at the desired dimension origin point and rotated to match the XYZ of the paper space view.  If you are not in the exact plane of the Paperspace view the dimension snaps will not work. if you are in the correct plane usually just resetting the origin point fixes this.

2)  Option 2: In Paperspace just ignore setting an origin point. Place you ordinate dimensions with the wrong value. Select the newly created dimensions and zoom out until you can see the dimensions origin grip, select the grip and drag/snap it to the base drawing where zero should be.  This was always possible with ordinate dimensions since the base point was never associatively connected to the model space geometry.

John

Message 3 of 3
jcp
Advocate
in reply to: jcp

Update to Option 2:

When moving the viewbase drawing you need to also select the ordinate dimensions since the base point is not associated and stays where manually snapped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost