AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projecting 3D drawing

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jacornej
496 Views, 2 Replies

Projecting 3D drawing

So I was giving a drawing from a previous user, and at first glance everything looks fine. But then I notice the drawing is in 3D.

Some of the lines are drawing in 3D space. The drawing looks fine looking at it from a certain angle, but when I choose the the top view a lot of the geometry moves.

So my question is there anyway to project it to a flat plane?

I'm using AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 on Windows 7 SP1

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
steve216586
in reply to: jacornej

Use the command FLATTEN. Unless you need orthographic views of the object and FLATTEN doesn't give you the results you desire....

The way I handle 3D drawings that I only need 2D is as follows:

Create one viewport in a layout tab and view the 3D object leaving enough room for other orthographic views.

Create SOLVIEW viewports of the object which I require. i.e. orthographic views.

Create SOLDRAW projections of the viewports.

By using 3D Tools tab you can manipulate the UCS and rotate your SOLDRAW views to the default WORLD UCS. (typically using Y & X axis)

Once all views are visible correctly in the WORLD UCS, I use OVERKILL to eliminate redundant lines. Then delete any other facets or unnecessary lines.

Delete hidden lines and purge the orthographic view's layers DIMS & HIDDEN.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 3
jacornej
in reply to: steve216586

Thank you. Sorry for the late response.

Never heard of the flatten command, it did exactly what I needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost