AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with exporting a STP file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dpvols21
486 Views, 2 Replies

Problem with exporting a STP file

I have a STP file that I need to scale 10%.  It scales just fine in Mechanical desktop.  So then I export it.  I do select inches for the units in the OPTIONS dialog box where you export your .stp files.  After I save it I then open the .stp file in Inventor and it is no longer scaled.  It's the original size before the initial scaling in MDT.  Any suggestions why it's not holding the scale?  I have done this before and been successful but now it's not working.  I am at a loss...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
emily.xu
in reply to: dpvols21

If you just want to scale your STP file to 10% in Inventor,I would suggest you the following steps:

1  Open the STP file as single part in Inventor, then save it as a ipt file

2  New a part file, use derive function, select the ipt file you just created from stp.

3  At the lower-left of derive dialog, you can set the scale.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 3 of 3
dpvols21
in reply to: dpvols21

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, but it's frustrating that it won't work from doing it in MDT.  Another reason I would prefer it that way is the file size decreases dramatically.  It stays basicall the same when you derive the part.  Thank you though!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost