AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open with AutoCAD, not AutoCAD Mechanical? -- how to set default program?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jsauber
8414 Views, 6 Replies

open with AutoCAD, not AutoCAD Mechanical? -- how to set default program?

When I double-click on a filename, I'd like it open with AutoCAD, not AutoCAD Mechanical. With previous versions, it would use whatever program was used last, but with 2010, it insists on using AutoCAD Mechanical no matter what was used before.

I've tried the right-click "Open with" routine, and then browing to the acad.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ACADM 2010 folder, but it always starts AutoCAD Mechanical.

Similarly, using Folder Options, File Types to set the default program for DWG file to acad.exe still insists on running AutoCAD Mechanical. What's the trick?

Thanks,

John S.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ipsenusa
in reply to: jsauber

I'm having the same problem. I can't use ACAD mechanical and suddenly that's all everything opens with. Even the "acad.exe" opens to mechanical...
Message 3 of 7
jsauber

I never found a way to make a dwg file launch just AutoCAD when you click on it, but I did find a way to make an icon that will run it:
• Find the acad.exe file in with the AutoCAD program files (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ACADM 2010\acad.exe), and make shortcut on your desktop to it.
• Open up the properties of the shortcut, and modify the target line so it says: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ACADM 2010\acad.exe" /p <>

The icon that gets put on your desktop during install doesn’t work since you can’t modify the target line.

Sort of a pain, but it works.

John S.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

It's easy. See the reply to a post of a similar subject today...

"Create a new icon for AutoCAD 2010. Go to Start >> All Programs >>
Autodesk >> AutoCAD Mechanical >> AutoCAD 2010, right click and select Copy.

Then go to your Desktop and Rick Click "Copy Shortcut". See attached...."
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 7
Geeky2605
in reply to: Anonymous

hi i would like to open on mechanical mode but everytime t opens on auto cad. i tryd going to start programs autodesk but theres no option for autocad mechanical. and i need to use constrction lines. i can only find 1 type on construction line under draw in auto cad. i need it show like how it does on mechanical were there are various options for construction lines

Message 6 of 7
dwing
in reply to: Anonymous

THANKS!  It works with Win 7 and Acad 2013 also!!

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 7
Paul.Hardwick1

See this article to set Autocad (standard) as the default.  I pasted the target line, obtained from the properties of the standard Autocad shortcut to the relevant regedit keys.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/simplecontent/content/how-to-mod...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost