AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object snap setting turning off

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
BearsFan
62757 Views, 21 Replies

Object snap setting turning off

I have AutoCAD Mechanical 2014.  Service Packs installed.

My Object Snap setting are currently turned on.  (F3 turns them on and off by default)  endpoint, midpoint, center, and intersection.

When i try and execute a command.  Any command.  Line.  Circle whatever.  and i try and execute that command by any means.  clicking a button on the ribbon typying "line" enter, or just "L" enter.

My object snap setting turn off.  and not just turn off, they reset to 0.  meaning that if I try and turn them back on it will pop the window up saying I have non selected.  and i have to select what I want.  endpoint etc....

If i select just 1 item.  when the command is finished it will keep those snap settings.

If i don't select any it will reset to what snap setting where before i executed the command.

Now if i only have endpoint selected in snap settings it will not disable snap setting upon execution of a command.  but if i add any other it resets it every time.  So when i have to add 25 objects to a drawing.  either brand new, or previously existing, I have to manually set my snap setting with each and every command.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
BearsFan
in reply to: BearsFan

Is there any way to submit this to AutoDesk to see if there is something i can do to fix this.  It really makes AutoCAD unusable.

Message 3 of 22
Davarn-Tool&Die

That's a puzzler. Is this a new install, or did this just start happening recently? Are you running any new auto load lisp or other apps that mey be turning it off?

Try running the command  -purge (the minus runs it in text not dialog mode and there are more commands), and purge the apps.

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

Message 4 of 22
BearsFan

Here is some more info.  It was on a CPU I had been using since january.  Problem had persisted for 2 weeks before I first reported it.

It is an everything install, meaning I installed and clicked the check box to have it install everything that was available.

I use no LISP or other programs.

Only CUI (custom user interface) changes from default are 1 Custom toolbar.  w/ matchprop, revcloud, textfit, ampowersnap and 2 shortcut key over-rides.  F1 to refresh and F2 to match layer.

Everything else is default.

A work around is to reset all user customizations to default.

If I then load my old customization problem occurs again.

I have also tried re-doing all my CUI options that I had before.

If i do them all.  (And I have ooked up to make sure i am doing them correctly) The problem occurs again.

If however I do them all except adding a button for ampowersnap, it works with minimal interference.  my snap will turn off about once an hour.  but not rest to zero, just turn off.  Clicking it turns it back on, so at least I can continue working.

I will be installing CADworks (a 3-d piping suite) soon and am hoping to have a solution before I install it.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

This is a common problem with AutoCAD Mechanical.

AutoCAD Mechanical doesn't like you to use the AutoCAD snap toolbar/settings/... but wants you to use the 4 snap presets that you can pick (and/or configure) through the "Powersnap" functions.

Besides this, AutoCAD mechanical will switch on/off particular snaps based on particular functions. (centerline switches on "mid", the hatch (for reasons unknown and highly annoying) will switch on nearest)

At the same time, there seems to be some snaps that will switch on/off nearly randomly (like intersection).

Best way to deal with it that I found is to just go with it and use shift-rightclick a lot. (and to give feedback to Autodesk about it)

Message 6 of 22
VictorGomez3139

This is not true. It was working perfectly for me for many years, prior to release 14 & 15.
Message 7 of 22
jckomnickjr

I hope you're having luck with it. I'm using CADWorx 2015 P&ID, and that is why I was searching for a resolution to this. Everytime I go to insert a block it turns my ObjectSnap off. When I turn snaps back on I get the dialog box and have to pick the snaps I want, but when I'm done inserting, all of my previously selected snaps return. It's like it turns snaps off while in the command, then when you're done it resumes your session. I've been told to just shift right-click my way through it, but it adds several steps that are unneccesary and adds a lot of extra time to a project. If I use grid snaps, they stay active during the commands, but if I'm cleaning up someone elses drawing and they didn't use the grid, then I have to use the ObjectSnaps, and it just gets frustrating after a while.

I realize your post is from a year and a half ago, but if you found a fix since then I'd be interested to know what it is.

Thanks,

Joe

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous

I'm currently facing a similiar problem on AutoCAD 2016 LT. The osnap feature randomly unselects ALL the different modes (Endpoint, Mid, Perpendicular, Tangent, etc.) and I have to open the Osnap dialog box and selects all my modes again. Osnap doesn't turn off, but it does this thing and unselects all the different modes and basically renders it useless until I manually re-select the osnap modes. Any ideas?! It's really annoying. 

Tags (4)
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

I am haveing the same issue with Full AutoCAD 2016 (fully up to date). Very annoying.

Message 10 of 22
dwayne
in reply to: Anonymous

you are not alone - came looking for a solution to the same problem. i can be drawing and then the next second all my snaps are unselected and im waving my pointer around like a pleb looking for end points. never had this with 2015

Message 11 of 22
BearsFan
in reply to: dwayne

So I have not had this problem for a while now. It seems that the only course of action to make this go away completely. Don't import from previous AutoCAD.
As frustrating as that last sentence sounds. It works. Do a fresh install. and don't import.
The last time I created a word document that lists all the changes I generally make to AutoCAD. i keep it up to date, and every new release of AutoCAD, I just manually do all the changes.
Message 12 of 22
LeviFurniss
in reply to: dwayne

I'm the same as you... wen't from 15 to 16 and now I get this problem. DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

any solution to this other then a clean install.?

Message 14 of 22
BearsFan

From what i have tested myself.  If I import settings I will have this problem.  However co workers of mine can import setting without issue.  So I tried resetting my settings and only making a few changes, and then importing those.  That seemed to work, so my best guess is one of the setting/shortcuts, changes you are making to the CUI is fundamentally different from what changes autodesk has changed in the update.  I have thought about 1 by 1 testing out which of my shortcuts or other CUI changes is causing this, and I will when work is less busy (probably never), but for now, it is just quicker for me to re-do all my CUI changes.  Having updated to the newest AutoCAD version 3 years in a row, I now have a document that step by step tells me how to adjust my CUI to what i want.  Waste of a day every-time we update, but saves me the hassle of the snap turning off.

Message 15 of 22
ctbrokaw

I had a similar problem for a long time, some commands would automatically turn off end snap, or turn on perp, etc. It turns out there's a variable OSNAPOVERRIDE, set it to 1 to disable it from overriding your osnaps. I just found it, and it seems to be working, not sure, I don't remember all the commands that would automatically change the snaps. Looks like yet another feature in AutoCAD that is intended to save you time if you know about it, otherwise it just gets annoying.

Message 16 of 22
CADgrump
in reply to: ctbrokaw

Heads up, everyone:

I just tried changing the OSNAPOVERRIDE to "1", so my Osnaps always work, and after that I could no longer edit with grips [I'm in AutoCAD Architecture 2016].   I could grab a grip and move or stretch something, but not "let go" of the grip with a click of the mouse or a press of the Enter button.   I tried in two different drawings and had the same result.   I checked various settings in the Options dialog box, but everything looked the same between the two files.

I don't have time to figure this out, so I'll deal with the random MIA Osnaps (F3).   If anyone knows why this is happening and how to fix it, please let us know.

Also, I came across this thread because my snaps (F9) seem to randomly turn on and make life interesting.  

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: CADgrump

I also have the same problem with OSNAP turning everything off in AutoCAD Mechanical 2016.

I have just tried the OSNAPOVERRIDE setting and I can no longer use the window selection. I can select things individually and add and remove from the selection that way but when I try to use the window selection in either direction it just won't work let me click to end my selection.

Message 18 of 22
pchabot

I just had this problem with AutoCAD Mechanical 2014.

I just found to fix it that in Options, Am:Preferences Tab, Under Snap Settings, it was adjusted to Supress Object Snaps.

I set it to System setting and now it works normally.

I don't know what caused the value to change.

Message 19 of 22
dbrizio
in reply to: pchabot

This is the best solution. I had the same problem with Mechanical 2017, and by resetting that Snap option to System Settings, everything worked again

Davide

Message 20 of 22
CADgrump
in reply to: dbrizio

Thanks, both.

I can't find that setting anywhere in Architecture 2016, though.  I realize I ended up in a Mechanical forum, but that's where the problem took me.

Enjoy your days.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost