AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple BOMs in one Autocad file

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
KevinMacDonald
2806 Views, 13 Replies

Multiple BOMs in one Autocad file

I am using Autocad 2013 Mechanical as part of the Ultimate Product Suite.

I have a 3D model consisting of many solids, all contained within a single Autocad DWG file. Inventor is not being used at all. I would like to annotate all the elements within the drawing using multiple layouts. My general work flow is:

• Complete the 3D model.
  • Create a new layout.
  • Insert a drawing border in the layout.
  • Insert multiple Base views in each layout in order to be able to annotate complex 3D geometry.

All of this works pretty well, except when it comes to BOMs. I would like to have multiple BOMs, one for each layout, with a Parts List inserted into each layout that is based on a different BOM. I am finding I cannot do this. It seems that BOMs are quite complex animals, and one can only have multiple BOMs under certain very specific circumstances. It seems they work best with Assemblies coming from Inventor. Is there some kind of workaround that would allow me to achieve this with Autocad Mechanical by itself?

To restate: my goal is to have a separate Parts List for each Layout, and to be able to use the Part Reference and Balloon commands to have Autocad do as much of the work for me as possible. If I cannot do this then I might just have to resort to manually drawing a Parts List and not using the BOM functionality at all. 

And again, just to be perfectly clear, I am working within a SINGLE Autocad Mechanical 2013 drawing file. Inventor plays no part in this. I have not created "assemblies" in any way. I have a 3D solid model within the one file that I am working off of. It could be that my work flow is simply wrong for making use of BOMs. I did it this way because I am working off an existing Autocad 3D model and did not want to have to re-create the model in Inventor.

Thanks

Inventor 2013
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi Kevin,

Please follow below steps to insert separate partslist in different layouts.

1. Switch to Layout

2. Create model views

3. Command: AMBALLOON>>All option>>Pick the ONLY part references that you want to balloon and SHOW in the parts list

4. Command: AMPARTLIST>>Under "Filters and Groups">>Right mouse click "Add Filter" >>Select "Ballooned" option

5. Notice in the partslist dialog>>only the ballooned parts are listed.

6. Click OK to insert the partslist.

Using the above steps; you may insert different partslist.

Hope this answers your question.  Also find attached sample drawing.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 3 of 14

Thanks. Exactly what I needed.
Inventor 2013
Message 4 of 14

A problem has come up, perhaps related to this solution. I have many layouts in one Autocad file. Every layout has a parts list using the same MAIN BOM. Every parts lists (EXCEPT ONE!) is NOT showing up when plotted to PDF. The only difference between the many that don't work and the one that does is that the ones that don't have a "Ballooned" filter. They are all on the same layer in all layouts. I don't know if the "Ballooned" filter necessarily has anything to do with it because when I plot using the simple Plot command everything is fine in all layouts. But of course, I would have to Plot each layout separately which is time consuming.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Inventor 2013
Message 5 of 14

Hi 

I tried publish command and it works fine.  Find attached PDF file published using the drawing I had earlier sent to you.

Have you switched of Mechanical layers from the options>>AM:Standards>>Settings dialog box to follow your company standard layer management?

Would it be possible to attach a sample drawing and let me know how are you creating the PDF file?

You may send the drawing to sridharDOTsubramaniATautodeskDOTcom or attach to this thread.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinMacDonald

We used another approach to the same solution. We simply use item numbers 101-199 for first assy, 201-299 for secon assy, etc. then just use filters so that each parts list contains only the correct series of item numbers. We have a more unique problem. The attached drawing shows six different assemblies in one BOM by adding a quantity column for each and showing which parts are required for each assembly. We've done this for a hundred years or so. We cannot figure how to do this with the BOM.  In this case we just used tables.  So the BOM isn't automatically generated but the result is what we need. (The cross hatch in the unused item blocks aren't necessary just used for impact) 

Is there a way that we could take advantage of the BOM and parts list to add additional quantity columns?

Regards,

Mark

Message 7 of 14
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mark,

I presume all the parts in the drawing are blocks with designated names.  If yes, you may make use of Block Partref concept to solve the issue with below steps:

1. Insert a block

2. Command:Ampartref>>Block>>Pick the block>>Enter required details in the partref dialog box>>OK

3. Insert other blocks and follow step-2 to convert them into parts

4. Convert all the parts into another block (ASSM-1)

5. Follow step-2 convert the ASSM-1 block into an Assembly

Using above steps you may insert different blocks and follow above steps to convert them into different assemblies.

NOTE: Once a partref is extracted from a block (Step-2), you need not follow step-2 if you want to insert the same part into different assembly.  Just use insert command to insert another instance of the part.

E.g.. Part-1 and Part-2 are converted to an assembly-1 using above steps.

Part-1 is required in assembly-2, use Insert command to insert Part-1 which will automatically be a part.

Hope this is clear and do let me know if any of the steps are unclear.

I have attached a drawing for your reference.  Double click each assembly to view how the blocks are created.

Thanks,

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

Unless I'm missing something, your solution is unacceptable.  I don't think you understand the problem.  We don't want to list the parts over and over,.  We want to list the parts in BOM once, add additional qty columns, select only those items that apply to each assembly.  Did you look at the example I included?

Mark

Message 9 of 14
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Mark,

I did see the attachment.

Unfortunately multiple QTY columns cannot be added in BOM dialog box.

Thanks,

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinMacDonald

Thanks for the input.

Actually, you can add as many quantity columns as you want to the BOM as long as you're willing to manually update them as required.  We will live with our own solutions for now.  We were just hoping for an automated solution.

Regards,

Mark Kenyon

Message 11 of 14
eschmtz
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

I have a slightly different question on BOMs in model space.  I want to add multiple parts lists to use in a variety of ways (manually entering data).  So to do this, I have been adding multiple borders to model space and utilizing the parts lists associated with the individual borders.  The problem I am running into is that when switching from one BOM to another BOM, the headers in the BOM window remain the same as the last BOM I created and not the headers I had originally associated with that border and partslist.   

The weird thing is that the partslist still show the correct headers.  It just makes modifying the existing BOMs more difficult.  

is there a correction to this in AutoCad?

Message 12 of 14

I'm completely new to Mechanical.  I've just left a job using P&ID for the past year.  

I'm so close to getting this work but one problem.   When I put the parts list in the Layout I want it in, it also adds a new line to the existing parts list on the original layout.

I'm trying to make sub assemblies of a customer GA with their own more detailed BOMs / parts lists for production.

Message 13 of 14

Please attach a sample drawing file and highlight the part you want to see in one layout and not in the other layout.

Thanks,

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 14 of 14

I actually figured it out after I asked. I had to delete the existing table and reinsert it from scratch. It worked on each paper space perfectly after that. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost