AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanical 2012 3d modeling question

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
steve-NEO
488 Views, 3 Replies

Mechanical 2012 3d modeling question

Hello everyone. I am using Mechaical 2012 and have been doing alot of 3d work lately.  The problem I am having is that I have a tapered cyclinder intersecting with another cylinder, basically its a branch used in piping runs. I haved the model made to the dimensions I want, I have it shelled showing wall thickness but I can not get them to trim neatly at the intersection.

Thank you.

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: steve-NEO

There are several ways - I use the Slice with surface option, but I'm going to explain an older technique.

Copy both objects in the same location (it helps to put on different layers).

Subtract one from the other.  The part from which you have subtracted is now two disjointed solid bodies if you turn all other layers off.
Solidedit>separate to separate into two solid bodies - you can now delete the one you don't want.

Repeat for the other tube

or

Revolve surfaces and Slice with surface.

Someone has made a routine to do all this at once - I think it is available on the AppStore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
steve-NEO
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you JD. I got the double Revolve with a surface slice to work just fine. Thank you for that.

However, I've been trying to get the solid version down as I'm prefering to work in solid, no other reason as that is my current preference. I'll work with your suggestion here and see what I can get from that.

Thank you for the surface tip. Def. helped.

Steve

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: steve-NEO

I'm not sure you entirely followd my two different techniques.

The second technique uses surface to edit solids (not surfaces).

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%208.pdf

But if you were to use trimmed surfaces you can always Thicken into solids.  If the parts are made from trimmed flat sheet metal that is then rolled up, the Thicken technique will result in more realistic edges at the trim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost