AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTSCALE IN VIEWPORTS

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Winks87
1780 Views, 2 Replies

LTSCALE IN VIEWPORTS

We are finally switching to paperspace for Autocad Mechanical Yay.  So I create geometry, put on a mechanical centerline, go to paperspace and creeate multiple viewports at different scales.  Here's where I run into trouble:

1.  Linetype scale does not update in viewports (it looks like a centerline on some, a solid line in other viewports.

2.  I created annotative dimstyles - can I use annotative dimstyle with mechanical dimensions? I dimension in model space.

3.  Do I need to select dimensions in model space and set annotative scale to all scales used in paperspace?  Why dont the dims scale automatically?  I would think this is how it is supposed to work.

4.  Annotative leaders do not show in paperspace viewports until I set annotative scale(s) in model space.  Is this correct behavior?

Eveyone says paperspace is the way to go, but this seems a rediculous (non-productive) way to create drawings.  What am I missing?

James Winkler
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: Winks87

"Paper space is the way to go" usually means objects in model space and annotations (text, dimensions, title block, etc.) in paper space.  No scaling needed, except for linetypes.  First make sure all of your linetypes are from the same file.  If some are from/derived from ACAD.LIN and others from ACADISO.LIN, then no amount of twiddling will help.  Second, apply the "rule of ones": MSLTSCALE = 1, PSLTSCALE = 1, object LTSCALE = 1, and preferably (but not mandatory), LTSCALE (global drawing setting) = 1.  Third, set up your annotation scale values, making sure they are what they are supposed to be.  By that, I mean make sure the scale named 1:30 is 1:30 and not 1:100 (you can call them Fred, Jimmy, and Martha if you want; name ISN'T value in this case).  If model space and paper space are in different units (paper space is always millimeters for metric, inches for imperial) then an additional multiplier is needed for the scale value.  For example, on civil drawings its not unusual to work in meters in model space so a 1:1000 scale will use an actual scale of 1:1 (meters to millimeters) but can still be named 1:1000.  Finally, ensure the proper annotation scale is assigned to each viewport.

Annotation scaling of text and dimensions is of most benefit for 2D drawings in model space which need to be shown in multiple viewports or drawings (sharing via XREF).  It can provide some interesting options.  For example, you can have several annotation scales with different names, but all the same value.  Each viewport will have an annotation scale assigned to it, so by selectively applying certain scales to certain text or dimensions, they can show up in some viewports and not others, even if they have the same drawing scale.  I've seen this used in both mapping and architectural drawings, but not much that would be considered "mechanical".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
Winks87
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you very much for the description.  I will make some changes based on your info.

James Winkler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost