AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost ViewPorts

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
716 Views, 17 Replies

Lost ViewPorts

My company uses AutoCAD mechanical 2006 for primarily 2D model space and 3D model space designs. We use the paper space (layout) view for drawings and title blocks. With the 2D design only a single viewport and title block is located in paper space. With 3D jobs we have some old school guys that make standard viewports just like with the 2D design work. The problem comes from when the newer guys use the (AMDWGVIEW) command to generate views. I much prefer this method as it gives allot more options to the viewports. However my company saves there drawings backwards as 2004 and the AMDWGVIEW’s disappear. Is there a setting I need to turn on or off to stop this from happening?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
VinodBalasubramanian
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Can you check whether you have set the options to default Save as "AutoCAD 2004 drawing". This will convert the drawing to a plain AutoCAD one and all your mechanical intelligence will be lost.

Untitled.png

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: VinodBalasubramanian

I am using AutoCAD mechnical 2011. I have checked that, and that is not the soloution. This happens everytime I save backwards to any format I have tried them all. Surely I am not the only one with this problem.

Message 4 of 18
VinodBalasubramanian

Can you able to share a sample drawing with us. This would help me to investigate further.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

This is just the one I have been using, Try it.

Message 6 of 18
VinodBalasubramanian

Hi,

I tried loading your drawing in AutoCAD Mechanical 2011. There are some missing xrefs. But i still managed to load it and saved it to a 2004 drawing file. Now i could able to open it in 2006 mechanical without missing the view. Please see attached screenshot. Can you do an etransmit of the entire drawing and provide me the dataset. This might help me to reproduce the problem better. Also please correct me, if i am doing anything wrong with the steps.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

Is this what your after? Many thanks

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

Have you been able to fix this vinodbala?

Message 9 of 18
VinodBalasubramanian

Hi Shannon,

I didn't have time yesterday to work on it. I am checking it today and will keep you posted with my observation soon. Let me know, if you have any concerns.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 10 of 18
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi

Drawing views created using amdwgview are not supported for downgrade save.  All drawing views are lost when the drawing is saved to a lower version.  You may export the views (viewports) as a new drawing using amviewout command and choose the file format.

Hope this info helps

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

In 2006 Mechnical I can down grade save the views to 2004. Why was this removed for 2011 version?

Message 12 of 18
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi,

To my knowledge we did not support this workflow.  I did try to save file in AutoCAD Mechanical 2004 drawing format having drawing views created using amdwgview command in AutoCAD Mechanical 2006.  Open the file in AutoCAD Mechanical 2006 or 2004 did not retain the drawing view.

Please let me know if you would like to see a video file or sample drawing file.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

I have been using 2006 to downsave to 2004 for three years and the problem started when I upgraded to 2011. I would show you but I no longer have 2006 on my machine.

Message 14 of 18
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi,

AcadM 2006 drawing can be saved as AcadM 2004.  However, if there are drawing view in 2006 drawing, then saving this drawing in 2004 willl remove drawing views.  Please find attached AVI file captured from AcadM 2006.

Thanks

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 15 of 18

Drawing files attached.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Windows XP machine and Autocad Mechanical 2006 I have the "options" setting "Open and Save" "File Save: Save as: AutoCAD Mechanical 2004  drawing. When I open a drawing file with 3D entities and create my views using the amdwgview command and close the drawing and hit save. My views are still there when I open the drawing back up. If I follow the same steps and use SAVE AS from the Files menu I loose my views. Can this be checked? Is it not really saving as 2004 even though it is set to?

Message 17 of 18
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi,

Yes, it is not saving in 2004 format as the first option in the list is for AutoCAD Mechanical 2006.  AutoCAD file formats are changed every 3 releases.  I have updated your new thread below.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Mechanical/AutoCAD-mechnical-2006-users-Can-someone-check-this...

Thanks,

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks, for this information I was under the impression that it was 2004 Mechnical. Is there a reason that this was never supported by autodesk? Is it to sell more product because it doesnt save back to older versions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost