AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers from various files

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
349 Views, 2 Replies

Layers from various files

Hi,

I'm a student and completely new to AutoCad so please excuse this post if it seems way to dumb. I have created 4 drawings in 4 different files and I want to place them all together in one file. I use the import command but by doing so the layers don't work and for example lines that I have set as hidden become continuous and other that I have set as white turn back to default cyan. I tried importing the layers' settings from each files but then there is no change. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Appreciate the help!

Thaaanks!!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
steve216586
in reply to: Anonymous

First, there is no real need to import. You can copy and paste all your entities from one drawing into another fairly simple by using the windows CTRL-C and CTRL-V. Or, you could block the drawing entities and then insert them into a main drawing. Or, you could use Design Center and "drop" them into a clean drawing. See HELP, or Google tutorials for AutoCAD. There are many videos out there which would help. But any way you choose, it's not too hard.

Secondly, It sounds like you have redundant layers with unique properties. Meaning the layer names are the same but in one drawing a layer is defined as hidden line type and in another it is defined as continuous. The layers which are imported will always take on the properties of the HOST drawing.

My suggestion for combining several drawings into one is:

1. Create a clean drawing with all your layer's properties defined a you want in the finished product. Linetype, Color, scale, etc.

2. In each drawing, which are to be combined, make sure all layers match the layer properties of #1.

3. Copy all entities from each drawing by using these commands: COPYWITHBASE then select everything you want to migrate to clean drawing or CTRL-A, if everything. Select a base point. (Everything you want will highlight to indicate a copy has occurred.)

4. Enter clean HOST drawing and CTRL-V and paste it to the coordinates you desire or into any open space where you can move it later, without interference from the other drawings' objects.

Repeat until you have all your drawings into one file.

Let us know how it works out.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

When I tried simply the copy-paste commands the problem would occur again

However, your last suggestion worked perfectly!!

Thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost