AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP LaserJet 5200 Printing Problems

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
laura.heatwole
4248 Views, 21 Replies

HP LaserJet 5200 Printing Problems

We have been using an HP LaserJet 5200 for years. We recently upgraded to Vista x64 machines and Inventor Suite 2009 x64. The printer drivers have been updated to Vista x64. We are now having program crashes when trying to print an 11x17 to the HP printer. It only crashes when using AutoCAD and DWG True View. We have no problems printing 11x17 from Inventor, Design Review or any other program. I have ran this through an Autodesk Support Request with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas of what to try to fix this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, LMH
Laura Heatwole
Engineering Information Systems
Watson Drill Rigs

Vault Pro 2013, PDSU 2013, Win7 x64
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
CrAzY-MiKe
in reply to: laura.heatwole

Are your AutoCAD and DWG TrueView from the same install as Inventor, or were they already in place when you installed Inventor?

Michael Hollingsworth
CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation
Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing Collection 2021
Message 3 of 22

They both were installed with the Inventor deployment image.
Laura Heatwole
Watson Drill Rigs

Message 4 of 22
CrAzY-MiKe

I was curious, since I already had AMech2009 on my machine when we bought and installed Inventor2009 last week. The disc recognized that the latest AutoCAD was already present and skipped it during the process. It seems that is not contributing to your dilemma.
Michael Hollingsworth
CAD Administrator | Flexicon Corporation
Autodesk Product Design and Manufacturing Collection 2021
Message 5 of 22
DD8494

I have Vista Buisiness 64, Mechanical Desktop 2009, HP 5550dtn. Trying to print from autocad to this printer crashes it every time...
Message 6 of 22

I believe the problem to be either an Autodesk or a Vista Business x64 programming error. It is a very frustrating issue which Autodesk can not seem to figure out.
Laura Heatwole
Watson Drill Rigs

Message 7 of 22

James, Do you have problems printing 8.5x11 and 11x17?

It seems strange that we are only having problems with 11x17 using AutoCAD and DWG True View. We can print 11x17 fine with Inventor and Design Review.
Laura Heatwole
Watson Drill Rigs

Message 8 of 22
DD8494

Seems like only 11x17, actually.
Message 9 of 22
skfleming

Having same issue with all 2009 Autodesk products (Mechanical, P&ID, Electrical) running on 64 bit Vista Business when trying to print 11x17 to HP Laserjet 5200. Any print sent using the 11x17 size will crash Autocad every time. Any other size works fine. I created a custom paper size for 11x17 and it works but I cannot get the plot to center on the page even with "the center the plot checkbox on". Office apps and other programs can print 11x17 fine.

Steve Edited by: skfleming on Dec 18, 2008 7:04 PM
Message 10 of 22

We just start moving to Vista 64 and encountered the same problems printing 11x17 to our HP Laserjet 5200's and 9050's. We tried downloading the most recent PCL 6 and PCL 5e drivers from HP, but to no avail. However, I discovered that Vista had built-in drivers for these models. If I used the built-in in PCL 5 driver and connected the pc's directly to the printer via a 'standard tcp/ip' port (thus bypassing our print server and HP drivers), AutoCAD can print 11x17.

This is definitely a workaround and I have a ticket into Autodesk for a better resolution, but at least we can print now.

Rich
Message 11 of 22
jonh142881

YES!

When I installed the generic printer card settings, then used x64 Vista's HP 5000series PCL 5 drivers, it cured the Autocad crash for 11x17. THANKS!
Message 12 of 22
skfleming

Tried the drivers that are in Vista and it still crashes! Curious to see if this problem carries over into the 2010 products.
Message 13 of 22

Another user had the issue from AutoCAD Mechanical 2009 64-bit to our HP 5500n. I now have AutoCAD Mechanical 2010 64-bit and crash going to the same HP 5500n. It even crashes when I select Preview.

I can print 8-1/2x11 to the 5500n or I can print 11x17 to any other printer or to a PDF, but 11x17 to the 5500n crashes me right out.

I'm going to have IT try to change me to the Vista driver and see if that helps.
Message 14 of 22

Well, I seem to be able to print now without crashing.

I went to add a printer, selected Local Printer and found the HP 5500 with PCL 5. It starts out trying to install it to LPT1. Let it go and change the port later to match the IP of the printer.

I select an existing plot style for the 5500 which then drops back to none because I don't have that printer installed any more. But it still sets all the settings appropriately. Then I just change my printer to the PCL 5 5500 and print.

As was previously stated, it's not optimal, but at least it works.

Bill
Message 15 of 22
iana

Greetings,

Has anyone noted a difference in firmware versions on the 5200's? Could this be a possible firmware issue?

Ian Edited by: on Jul 7, 2009 9:21 PM
Message 16 of 22
kcaraballo

The firmware versions dont really make a difference. We have spent time working out these issues as we are in the business of deploying printers and print server solutions and managing them thereafter. In one instance I tested Windows 7 x64 using the 5200 PCL 6 driver and it worked for some time before reverting back to crashing everytime you try to select 11x17. After that you won't even have to select 11x17. Merely doing a preview will give you the same results. Trying the preloaded drivers didn't work either. We ended up having to use the HP 5100 PS driver to get past this obstacle. The 9050's work with the universal drivers though. If you're using this in a print server environment though you have to be careful not to mix the two because it causes other drivers to become corrupted. There are other known issues but as you stated on a previous post both HP and Autodesk are quick to point the finger at each other and not provide any solutions. this was tested with Autodesk 2008, 2009, and 2010 as well as with Revitt.

Edited by: kcaraballo on Feb 5, 2010 12:54 AM Edited by: kcaraballo on Feb 5, 2010 12:56 AM
Message 17 of 22
NWBS
in reply to: jonh142881

Please Fix this... been a problem for well over 3 years now!

Message 18 of 22
R.Reuchlin
in reply to: NWBS

My autocad mechanical 2011 crashed when I tried to print to A4 on our HP 5200L. I just found a solution, that might help with your problems:

In windows go to control panel -> Go to devices and printers -> HP 5200L preferences

Add here a custom paper size with the same paper size that isn't working (in my case A4 sizes).

(I called my custom paper size A44)
Now in autocad select the custom paper size to print on.

I hope it can help you out.

Windows 7 64 bit

Autocad Mechanical 2011 64bit
HP 5200L PCL6 (via server Windows Server 2003 32 bit)

Message 19 of 22
NWBS
in reply to: R.Reuchlin

This is what I did. This solution does work for the most part, however, the printer still asks you to pick a tray every time. So you must walk to the printer and hit the button twice to select the 11x17 tray for every print job. I havn't had any luck making the custom a default for tray 3 on the printer thus far. It is a pain for our small department but not enough to throw the printer out the window.

I just wish that HP or Autodesk would fix this problem. It has been out there a very long time. At this point I doubt it will. Annoying to say the least.

Message 20 of 22
mmanning
in reply to: rvanalstine

I know this is a very old thread, but we recently started enountering the 11x17 issue when we moved to new Windows 7 computers. The HP LaserJet 5200 was installed on our print server using the HP Standard TCP/IP printer port and I was pushing it to the local machines using a GPO. Printing 11x17 to this printer caused AutoCAD to crash every time. Printing to our old LJ 8000n or our Konica Minolta C552 did not experience any problems.

Anyway, I found this thread and decided to try installing as a local printer using the default Standard TCP/IP printer port, not the HP Standard TCP/IP port. Low and behold printing 11x17 works perfectly now. I'm not sure if it is an issue with trying to use the printer off the print server, or the HP printer port. In any case, everything seems to work now.

Obviously if you were pushing the printer with a GP or script, you should remove it from either so the flakey printer config doesn't keep getting pushed to the local computer

Very glad I found this thread. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost