AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to view dwg and dwf file thru preview pane of windows 7

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
shah_falgun
11387 Views, 7 Replies

how to view dwg and dwf file thru preview pane of windows 7

I am not sure, if it is possible, but It would be of great help if I can enable the preview of dwg and dwf file thru windows explorer preview pane. Right now, when I select the file, in preview pane it says no preivew available.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I presume this what you are looking for.

Picture.png

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 8

Not exactly, I am talking about the preview window of windows explorer and what you showing is thumbnails and that is only when drawing is saved with thumbnails preview. see attached.

SCREEN SHOT.JPG

Message 4 of 8
emily.xu
in reply to: shah_falgun

Can you tell me why you want to view such files in windows explorer preview pane?

We have free tools to do that, Autodesk Design Review just used to view dwf and dwfx file,even in IE, see http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?id=10798574&siteID=123112, With DWG TrueView,you can view dwg file.

You can find these tools in the home page of our websit: www.autodesk.com.

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 5 of 8
shah_falgun
in reply to: emily.xu

yes, I do have design review and I am using it regularly. Because there is no find feature same as ACAD file open window, I have to search for the file manually (from hundred of files) instead of using that feature. And also, sometimes I don't know which file has the content I am looking for. So that is why I was thinking by having preview I could be able to recognize the part by simlply scrolling thru them.

Opening dwf file thru design review takes few seconds to open especially if double clicking the file from windows explorer. I am trying open files from within design review to have it open faster. Somebody from Autodesk already have put the similiar find feature of open window as a wish list for me.

ADR Open Window.JPG

ACAD Open Window with find feature.JPG

Message 6 of 8
acwtzwegers

It just works for me... although I found that it has some limitations:

- preview seems to be small (256x140), so setting "extra large icons" does about the same trick.

- preview is the AutoCAD "initial view" (the last view f when you saved)

- preview may be offset from the preview "screen" top-left corner, so you may have to increase it's size.

This is on AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 (SP2), with Design Review, Trueview, Inventor etc also installed. Perhaps one of the others activates the functionality.

Message 7 of 8
roakley
in reply to: acwtzwegers

might be an old thread...but bump

I think this is what your after...see attachment

Message 8 of 8
shah_falgun

Thanks! but I was more interested to see preview of dwf files. But now the latest dwf viewer opens file quicker, which offset the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost