AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to disable splash screen

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ddonahue
12291 Views, 13 Replies

how to disable splash screen

i would like to find a way if possible to disable the splash screen when opening mechanical.  however, i do no use a desktop shortcut, but rather open drawings directly from windows explorer.  i have tried the /nologo switch which works great if i were to use a desktop shortcut, but not when opening drawings directly.  the loading seems much faster without the splash screen when i use the shortcut and i would like that functionality.  any suggestions?  

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: ddonahue

Dig into the registry and find the key which handles DWG filetypes.  You should find something similar to "C:\AcadUser\AutoCAD 2014\ACAD.EXE" /P "Profile name""%1", where you can add the /nologo along with any other arguments you would see on a desktop icon.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Or you just add /nologo to your desktop icon: right click on it > properties > target > add /nologo at the end of the text there.

Far easier then "digging" in the registry. 🙂

Message 4 of 14
ddonahue

I do not use a desktop icon.
Message 5 of 14
ddonahue

@dgorsman wrote:

Dig into the registry and find the key which handles DWG filetypes.  You should find something similar to "C:\AcadUser\AutoCAD 2014\ACAD.EXE" /P "Profile name""%1", where you can add the /nologo along with any other arguments you would see on a desktop icon.

is this something you have actually done?  i am pretty sure that registry key does not exist. can you give more info?

Message 6 of 14
dgorsman

Somewhere along the line, I was playing around it to handle users such as yourself.  But we have so many different application-specific profiles and DWG files, desktop-shortcuts became the rule (opening one type of DWG with another application can be incredibly destructive).  If you can open a DWG file by double-clicking it, you *must* have a DWG file handler in the registry to handle that association.  The registry key name won't be what I stated (nor did I state it was the key name) - it will depend on the AutoCAD or vertical installed.  But searching for that as a value should turn up some results.  You might want to try searching for something similar, such as TXT files, and see how that is implemented to launch Notepad by default.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 14
ddonahue

When poking around i found the usual places for the file type associations, but nowhere did i find anything with any sort of link or windows address such as C:/etc.  i did find mention of dwg's being associated with autocad, but all it said was acad.  i couldnt find anywhere that looked like a logical place to add the command line switch.  perhaps it is there, but my googling could not find any references to adding command line switches to any keys in the registry for any other programs either, not just autocad.  it would seem, at least based on my preliminary research, that this is not particularly common, especially compared to command line switches in shortcuts.  for me however, using a shortcut but then having to use the open command and navigating to the correct directory is too slow and defeats the purpose of getting rid of the splash screen.  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

What would be that purpose anyway? Because, splash screen or not, Autocad will take a particular time to startup... not displaying the splash will speed that up by fractions of a (nano)second... but that will not be particulary noticable... you will still wait just as long - just without an illustration.

If it really bugs you there's probably other ways to disable it (replacing it by empty image files etc. setting a hex to 00) but that really woin't help much.

If you want fast, you  start up AuutoCAD once and leave it open. Any DWG you click will just open up near instantly in a new tab.

Message 9 of 14
ddonahue

Not quite true. When using the desktop shortcut, autocad takes about 10 seconds to open. If I use the nologo switch, it takes about 2 seconds, and it opens into a drawing template instead of the new tab dialog.
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

So you are talking about the newtab... not the splash?

What if you just set the newtabmode to 0?

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Oh.. and don't be fooled in these things... Microsoft has been doing the same thing for many releases of Windows as well. Just because you see the desktop (in windows) or a drawing (in autocad) does not mean it has fully started up already - it just tries to give you that impression while it does the rest of the startup more in the background. 🙂

Fastest remains just keeping an instance active.

Message 12 of 14
ddonahue
in reply to: Anonymous

ok, i timed it to check your statements. thanks for the newtabmode btw, that was something i did not care for and now its gone:) anyways, once changing the new tab mode to 0, the /nologo switch was usable in 7 seconds, in a basic template. without /nologo it was 9 seconds to a blank instance. i think the difference was more perceived than reality. it would still be nice to find an answer to the question though.
Message 13 of 14
jjcrocco

This is to disable the splash screen when opening up a file by a double click from windows explorer. 

You need to edit the registry.

Open the registry and do a search for acad.exe.

There will be a few, in different locations, especially if you have multiple versions.  You will need to edit a specific key for each one, but they are all located together under the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\

Then look for acad.001.409 or something similar.  There would be multiples if you have other versions.  The top one on mine was the one I needed.  Not sure if that holds true though, but start at the top one, click on it, and go to shell, then open, then command.

Under command should be a single item called (default).  If you open it up it will have the path to your acad.exe, which should include the versions.  Add the switch /nologo as below.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2017\acad.exe" /nologo

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jjcrocco

For my regular AutoCAD 2016 I added the "/nologo" without the quotes to the registry key so that when double clicking a DWG it will suppress the logo splash screen for all drawings.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Autodesk\DWGCommon\Shellex\Apps\{bunch of crazy numbers and letters}:AutoCAD\OpenLaunch

Edit the OpenLaunch key and add the /nologo directly after the EXE location before the ending switch, see example below:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2016\acad.exe" /nologo "%1"

Hope this helps....!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost