AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dwg and dxf file icons

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
chad38
5923 Views, 10 Replies

dwg and dxf file icons

Just a little bit ago, out of nowhere, it seems the default opening program for dxf files suddenly changed. I noticed when I double clicked to open a dxf file, it opened up "DWG TrueView" instead of AutoCad Mechanical like it was. So I changed it back to the way it was. Now, since doing this, the file icons for dwg's and dxf's are exactly the same. Before they were different. I know this sounds like it's not a big deal, but for me it is very annoying, because for years I've been able to easily tell the difference between the two without looking at the file extension. Anybody know how to help me out? Please?

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: chad38

Explain in detail how you changed the file association for DXF.
Message 3 of 11
chad38
in reply to: pendean

In windows explorer, right clicked on the dxf file, went to properties, when the dialog pops up on the first tab, under "opens with" clicked on the change button and selected "AutoCAD Application" instead of "DWG TrueView Application", which was somehow now set as the default app. Clicked OK, then clicked apply on the properties dialog, then okay. Here is a screenshot of the prop dialog as it would have looked just after hitting Apply, to avoid any confusion.

Thanks for responding and trying to help me out here. Hope this helps.

Capture.JPG

[This post has been edited for clarity by cheryl.buck]

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 11
pendean

AutoCAD DWG Launcher is my setting in Windows Explorer. Restarting WIndows may help clear it up too.
Ensure the same is done for DWG files afterwards.

Otherwise, here is how to fix what you want in Win7:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12383/
Message 5 of 11
chad38
in reply to: pendean

Do you know the path to DWG Launcher? It is set as the default for dwg's, however I can't figure out where to point to it for dxf. Here's what my dialogue looks like for dxf.

HP Z420 Workstation
12.0 GB RAM
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 6 of 11
pendean

My mistkae, I had the wrong file type selected. Mine here also points to the AutoCAD Application.
See the other tip about chaning icons.
Message 7 of 11
jlok9

I had the same problem.

Here is how i fixed it:

1. Change back to default application. (AutoCAD DWG Launcher)

2. Uninstall TruView

This way it can never open truview. I think the priorities in the launcher were switched.

Message 8 of 11
lhoang

I have this same problem. This occured when I installed an upgrade from 2014 to 2015. After a few months of normal use, the files suddenly were wanting to open in 2014. When I changed the default program back to 2015, the icon now looks like a .dwg file when it is a .dxf file. This is annoying because I use both dwg and dxf for different reasons. Now everything looks like a .dwg so I have to check the file extension. Wish I knew how to change it back....

Message 9 of 11
anjamerilaj
in reply to: jlok9

how to reset file format into default?

Message 10 of 11
martinsomerville

There is probably an easier way but the how to geek program worked for me, and was pretty simple. 

I just located the dxf extension, right-clicked and edited and deleted the contents in the 'user choice' box

Message 11 of 11
drafting

This one worked for me.
i went from 2019 to 2021
great job

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost