AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Help File - cant find it

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Winks87
767 Views, 8 Replies

Download Help File - cant find it

I downloaded the Autocad Mechanical 2013 help file and installed - all by default.  Autocad mechanical cannot find the help file now.  I have the seetings in the options pointing to the correct path (see first 2 attachements).  Am i missing something?  There is also a message that pops up when I start Autocad Mech 2013 - Failed to execute Exchange Host Application.  (see attachement 3) Does this pertain to my help file issues?  The help command does nothing - no file path errors, just nothing.  I can still access it via a shortcut on my desktop (as a workaround) but it should start by clicking help in Autocad.

James Winkler
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
steve216586
in reply to: Winks87

Did you go here? http://docs.autodesk.com/AMECH_PP/2013/ENU/index.html

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 9
Winks87
in reply to: steve216586

Dont understand by "go there"?   You are pointing to the web based help file - I was trying to point to the local.

James Winkler
Message 4 of 9
steve216586

Sorry, the link was for "offline" help download.

Message 5 of 9
Winks87

I have already downloaded & installed the local help files.  Cant seem to make Autocad see it though.

James Winkler
Message 6 of 9
steve216586

From your screenshot for the directory to help in OPTIONS, you have only downloaded a link to the HTML page for online help. That is the way default AutoCAD HELP works. It is not really on your machine. Check the file out through Windows Explorer, it is only 2KB. You need to download the "offline" file to have it actually reside on your machine. If AutoCAD can't "find" HELP you may not have connectivity to the internet or your internet security is blocking it from responding. If that is the case you willl need to add AutoDesk as a safe site to your list of secure sites.

Message 7 of 9
Winks87

Ok, got that, so which file do I point to for help to work?

James Winkler
Message 8 of 9
steve216586

You should either download the "offline" HELP file from the link I sent. There is a target on that page for downloading "offline" help.

Or, figure out why your system is not allowing AutoDESK to respond to your request to get HELP from the html target. My OPTIONS file HELP file is pointed to the same place as yours and everything works fine here.

I would seriously try for the second option since there is something going on which shouldn't be happening but it is not inside of AutoCAD.

Message 9 of 9
Winks87

Thanks for the help Steve.  I may try re-installing the help to see if that works, if not, I will check to see if its getting blocked.

James Winkler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost