AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions not respecting annotative scale

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
KevinMacDonald
2704 Views, 6 Replies

Dimensions not respecting annotative scale

I'm not sure I can come up with a simpler use case than this.

1. I start a new drawing. I am in Model Space.
  2. I using DIMSTYLE to create a new annotative style starting with STANDARD
  3. I set the Annotation scale to 1:1 using the drop down menu at the very bottom right. I draw a dimension. 
  4. I set the Annotation scale to 5:1. I draw another dimension.

Both dimensions appear precisely the same on the screen. No difference in size. When I look at properties for one of the dimensions it shows "Annotative" as "No". 

But I used an annotative dimension style!

Even if I change the property to Annotative = "Yes" nothing happens to the appearance of the dimension.

What is the bit of voodoo that I am missing in this extremely simple case? Does text size have to be zero? Is there some magic variable that has to be a 1 instead of a 0?

Thanks

Inventor 2013
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Are you using Power Dimensions? Power Dimensions are NOT annotative. They will create a style of their own, and over ride your style, if you try to use them with annotative objects.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 7

How do I avoid using Power dimensions?

Under the Annotate tab there is exactly one icon that explicitly says "Power Dimension". All the other icons looks like vanilla dimension commands. Are all of these icons power dimensions? 

For my simple use case should I be using Power Dimensions? If they are not annotative what is their special 'power'?

Thanks 

Inventor 2013
Message 4 of 7

I am starting to realize that Autocad Mechanical is vastly different than the previous versions of Autocad I am familiar with, and that I am swmming against the tide by continuing to think in terms of the previous versions. This begins to explain my very very deep confusion of late.

I do find that I use 3D solid modeling a great deal. Do all the workflow and power dimension features of Autocad Mechanical work well when annotating solid models? 

Inventor 2013
Message 5 of 7

This may also explain your other question:

Mechanical Power Dimensions does not utilize annotative properties. This is well documented by users and product support staff. If you want to use annotative dimension styles you must use the Vanilla dimensioning toolbar. To replace the Power Dimension tools with Vanilla, simply start the CUI. If you select TRANSFER tab you can swap out the Power for the Vanilla from the Main cuix to your cuix file.

To me, Power dimensions are more of a hindrance than help. If you don't know how to set up a style or have much knowledge of dimensioning, then I guess they could help with placement and appearance.

Message 6 of 7

The complexity of the CUI is vast. Unfortunately I have no idea how to achieve this swap of Power Dimensions for Vanilla dimensions. Do you think I could find step by step instructions anywhere?

Thanks 

Inventor 2013
Message 7 of 7

Here is a really good site for tutorials.

This link is for CUI: http://www.cad-notes.com/?s=cui

This one is for the full menu of tutorials: http://www.cad-notes.com/contents/autocad-articles/

I hope this helps. I resource this site often in a pinch, when I can't find anything here on the forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost