AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning in PS vs. MS

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
338 Views, 10 Replies

Dimensioning in PS vs. MS

Yes, I know tis has been done to death in the Cad Managers newsgroup, but after reading all the related threads, I found that most were Civil or Arch., and using those vertical applications. I would like to hear opinions on dimensioning in modelspace versus paperspace using Mechanical 2005. I have used MS for all annotations for the last 10 years and am very accustomed to it. My new employer does all annotation in PS. I can see some positives in this, but still find myself flipping between the 2 to get a dimension or other information. Also, Power Dimensioning is not used here. They found problems with it early on, and reverted to pure autocad dimensions. Cheers, Bairdo
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I use PS. I like having only one dimstyle, set in my template. Text is the size I want, no scaling. There are some minor problems; sometimes a dim will lose its scale factor, but it's easily fixed. Right now, I don't put anything in MS but the drawing.

We operate an ammunition plant for the Army. We draw everything, machines, plant maps, building layouts, whatever is needed.

Jerry
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Jerry, Are you using Power Dimensioning or plain old autocad dimensioning? Power Dimensioning uses only 1 dimstyle also. Don't you find yourself flipping out (yup, pun intended,) of modelspace into paperspace to real a dimension, and then back to modelspace? Baird. "lsaapedd" wrote in message news:13642209.1104965246113.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I use PS. I like having only one dimstyle, set in my template. Text is the size I want, no scaling. There are some minor problems; sometimes a dim will lose its scale factor, but it's easily fixed. Right now, I don't put anything in MS but the drawing. > > We operate an ammunition plant for the Army. We draw everything, machines, plant maps, building layouts, whatever is needed. > > Jerry
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

I use both. Generally I use power dims for linear dims, regular for radial dims.

>Don't you find yourself flipping out (yup, pun intended,) of >modelspace into
>paperspace to real a dimension, and then back to >modelspace?

I don't understand the question.

Jerry
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

A lot of times I find that I need a particular dimension, and I have to go to paperspace to read the dimension, and then back to modelspace to continue the design. I find this a pain in the butt. Cheers, Bairdo. "lsaapedd" wrote in message news:10259864.1105017444845.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I use both. Generally I use power dims for linear dims, regular for radial dims. > > >Don't you find yourself flipping out (yup, pun intended,) of >modelspace into > >paperspace to real a dimension, and then back to >modelspace? > > I don't understand the question. > > Jerry
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

No. I don't dimension a detail until I'm through drawing it. If I need a dim from some other part, I use the dist command or check the length of a line in Properties. Generally, I draw everything that goes on a sheet in MS, then switch to PS, set my viewports, and dimension everything.

Jerry
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

That is what I will have to start doing it appears. Thanks for your input. Bairdo. "lsaapedd" wrote in message news:27048473.1105036216324.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > No. I don't dimension a detail until I'm through drawing it. If I need a dim from some other part, I use the dist command or check the length of a line in Properties. Generally, I draw everything that goes on a sheet in MS, then switch to PS, set my viewports, and dimension everything. > > Jerry
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

What is the difference between Power Dims and regular dimensions? Once they are created aren't they the same? "Bairdo" wrote in message news:41dc7027$1_3@newsprd01... > Jerry, > > Are you using Power Dimensioning or plain old autocad dimensioning? Power > Dimensioning uses only 1 dimstyle also. > > Don't you find yourself flipping out (yup, pun intended,) of modelspace into > paperspace to real a dimension, and then back to modelspace? > > Baird. > > > "lsaapedd" wrote in message > news:13642209.1104965246113.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > I use PS. I like having only one dimstyle, set in my template. Text is > the size I want, no scaling. There are some minor problems; sometimes a dim > will lose its scale factor, but it's easily fixed. Right now, I don't put > anything in MS but the drawing. > > > > We operate an ammunition plant for the Army. We draw everything, > machines, plant maps, building layouts, whatever is needed. > > > > Jerry > > >
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

it really depends on the standard of the company, i've been into different company yet i prefer making dimensions in model space... what is important is that you're doing it the easy way.

Godspeed
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

The results are, I think, but the method of getting there is different.

Jerry
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

You seem to have a lot more options with Power Dimensioning, just by clicking on a line, you can get vert., horiz., and aligned dimensions. Also, dots automatically replace arrows if the gap between extension lines is too small. You can break extension lines for dimension lines or text from another dimension. Automatic spacing of dimensions. Power erase on a baseline dimension automaticaaly moves all other dims. Plus others that I forget. Bairdo. "Jim Shipley" wrote in message news:41def9d5$1_3@newsprd01... > What is the difference between Power Dims and regular dimensions? Once they > are created aren't they the same? > > > > "Bairdo" wrote in message > news:41dc7027$1_3@newsprd01... > > Jerry, > > > > Are you using Power Dimensioning or plain old autocad dimensioning? Power > > Dimensioning uses only 1 dimstyle also. > > > > Don't you find yourself flipping out (yup, pun intended,) of modelspace > into > > paperspace to real a dimension, and then back to modelspace? > > > > Baird. > > > > > > "lsaapedd" wrote in message > > news:13642209.1104965246113.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > I use PS. I like having only one dimstyle, set in my template. Text is > > the size I want, no scaling. There are some minor problems; sometimes a > dim > > will lose its scale factor, but it's easily fixed. Right now, I don't put > > anything in MS but the drawing. > > > > > > We operate an ammunition plant for the Army. We draw everything, > > machines, plant maps, building layouts, whatever is needed. > > > > > > Jerry > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost