AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIM STYLE AUTO SCALING

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tmoxam
2805 Views, 1 Reply

DIM STYLE AUTO SCALING

We recently moved to AM 2012.  In the past when dimensioning, it didn't matter what scale the viewport was at, the dimensions would be correct for that viewport and also correct in a different viewport at a completely different scale.

NOW, i can only achieve a linear scale for all viewports. I want to be able to dimension at will again ..... without having to check/change the scale everytime.

What happened to the way it used to be?  What variable has been altered and how do i put it back the way it was?

I looked in the DIM styles variables and see nothing. Why would Autodesk change something that was working fine? I guess i answered my own question.  Anyway i would really like to fix this and create a new template.

thanx

Tmox

Tim Moxam - Senior Mechanical Designer
Windows 7 64 bit
Inventor 2012 Professional
Dell T1600 CPU E31245 @ 3.30GHz
8 GB RAM
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
michaelsu
in reply to: tmoxam

Hi Tmox,

I don't know which product you just migrated to, AutoCAD or AutoCAD Mechanical?

I assume you used to use AutoCAD. So there are some AutoCAD features you need to use with caution in  AutoCAD Mechanical.

Annotation Scaling:

AutoCAD lets you select objects used to annotate drawings as annotative. Only annotative objects react to the annotation scale.
AutoCAD Mechanical objects do not react to the annotation scale. If you are using power dimensions, you should not flag them as annotative. AutoCAD Mechanical Objects have been designed to react to scale areas and may not behave as expected if they are made annotative.

DIMLFAC & DIMSCALE

AutoCAD Mechanical uses several scaling mechanisms that are not available in AutoCAD. For example,scale areas allow model space to be divided into areas having different scales. Power dimensioning recognizes the different scales and automatically compensates for them (regular AutoCAD dimensions don't recognize scale areas). To preserve this behavior, you must leave scale related settings at their default values. Accordingly, do not to change the DIMLFAC and DIMSCALE system variables - leave them to be controlled by AutoCAD Mechanical.
Instead of using the DIMLFAC system variable, use the Units tab in the Power Dimensioning dialog box or use Scale Areas. Instead of using the DIMSCALE system variable, use the scale settings on the AM:Standards tab of the Options dialog box.

More such information is in the link below.

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmechanical/enu/online-help/WSb9510ad2d4124758a9bd0ae32fcab58a.ht...

If you cannot achieve what you want, can you please send me your sample drawing so to have a closer look?

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost