AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't extrude solid using Mode>Solid>Path

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
villa4203
2334 Views, 7 Replies

Can't extrude solid using Mode>Solid>Path

I drew a chair seat and then extruded it into a 1” thick solid after creating a region and subtracting 10 holes for spindles.

Next, the lesson book said to create a solid profile by creating a path around the seat edge, then extrude a shape along the path to create a solid that can be subtracted to produce a fancy edge.

The problem is that using the Extrude command will not produce a solid sweep that can be subtracted from the chair seat solid to produce the curved edge. Each time I try Extrude-MO-Solid-Path, all I can get is a Sweep that is not a solid, hence I can not subtract it from the solid chair seat. What am I doing wrong?

I created the drawing in Autocad 2015 (student, but full version). I have attached the drawing file.

Thanks,

Will

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SEANT61
in reply to: villa4203

The polyline profile is not closed.  That will result in a surface regardless of Mode selection.

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 3 of 8
villa4203
in reply to: SEANT61

Thank you for responding.  I had already re-created the profile several times to be sure I had a good profile.  Shortly after I posted my first comment, I went back to the drawing and turned the profile into a REGION. I was able to sweep it as a solid along the path and then was able to subtract the new solid from the solid chair seat and complete the contoured look to the edge of the seat! So, my profile was good but Autocad did not want to sweep the empty profile as a solid, it failed each time until I turned the profile into a region. 

Message 4 of 8
JDMather

@villa4203 wrote:

...! So, my profile was good but ....

AutoCAD Properties and my eyesight says otherwise.

Not Closed.png

Region simply used a fuzz factor to close the profile that you created open.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
villa4203
in reply to: JDMather

I see! I see!...says the blind man! Thank you for pointing out that incomplete profile. The moral of all of this: Use ZOOM and ZOOM again to check out the nitty gritty of those little intersections to make sure they are complete.  I am new at this.  I had a struggle with a Loft on a "C" clamp today using the Guide option - probably the same problem. From here on out, I will use the Properties Dialog Box and the Zoom tool more to figure out these problems. My usual reaction is to think that I am just doing something wrong and/or not understanding the process. What you say about the REGION command using a "fuzz factor" to complete the task makes sense.  I will get better at this.  Thank you JD for your time and expertise.

Message 6 of 8
acwtzwegers

Or just double click a polyline and see if there's an option to "Close" it in the pedit options - if so: it's not closed.

(just, in general... don't use the option to "Close": you get a large probabilty that it will cause double lines etc.)
Message 7 of 8
villa4203
in reply to: acwtzwegers

Thank you for this hint.  I have been seeing weird results every now and then just as you described.  At times, I wonder how these things happened.  The discussion and helpful suggestons on this forum are great!  For someone new to Autocad, this is valuable experience.  Thanks again for your input.

Message 8 of 8
kristofrudas

Hi! I copy-pasted a .dwg file to an .ipt's sketch while making a part, as usual (both attached) But this time I cannot extrude my "solid" because it is not a solid, although it seems solid to me! Please help it is very important, I'm stuck!

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost