AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't embed EXCEL table into drawing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
xrat86
268 Views, 6 Replies

Can't embed EXCEL table into drawing

I am unable to link & embed an EXCEL table into a drawing. When I select Edit>Paste Special>Paste Link nothing happens. I do not get the OLE Proeprties Dialog Box, I have that checked in the Options>Systems Tab so it should appear. Something is copied to the drawing, I can select it but not view it, delete it or move it. What I like to do is create BOM's in EXCEL and embed them to the drawings. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
xrat86
in reply to: xrat86

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? At a previous employer we had MDT2000 and we could do it easily. I am currently running MDT2004. Is there something special about this version that will not allow it?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Please run the AMVER command and let us know what it reports. -- Mike Dickason Developer Manufacturing Solutions Division Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 7
xrat86

Ran AMVER, results below -

Command: amver

AutoCAD(R) Mechanical 2004 SP3
Message 5 of 7
xrat86

I can select a table in EXCEL, go to Autocad and select 'paste special'. I get no dialog box or have the oppurtunity to position the table, it always goes in to the upper left hand corner. I've also discovered that eeh OLE links option under the Edit menu is no active and when selected gives me a dialog box to update, open, change or break the link. I can open the excel file from this window. I cannot see it in the drawing. When I close and then reopen the drawing, I do not get an option as to whether I want the link updated, but it is stil there.
Message 6 of 7
mbelcher

I am trying to find out if this is possible. What my employer is trying to do is have AutoCAD pull in the BOM from exel pricing sheets. All the current Prices for the parts are in these sheets. At the moment the Cad Developer looks at these sheets and creates a BOM in AutoCAD with a drawing and saves the information. THing is that the prices change int he Excel sheet but of course they aren't updated in the AutoCAD drawing BOM. How can or is it possible to get the BOM in AutoCAD to pull those values from the Excel Price sheet on load up. I know DBA but I am not sure how AutoCAD stores it's information and how flexible it is with that.
Message 7 of 7
xrat86

mbelcher -
I am sure that it can be done. In fact, this morning I was able to do it. I am not certain, but I think that if you make a 3D or solid element in the drawing the 'paste special' function that is needed goes haywire. I was able to embed a EXCEL table in a 2D (from scratch) drawing and it would update as the EXCEL sheet was changed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost