AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Border BOM in Paper Space

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bseydlitz
559 Views, 4 Replies

Border BOM in Paper Space

Just recently I figured out how to associate a BOM with a drawing border to allow for several different BOM/Part List within a single file and one Main BOM/Part List that shows everything. This is great!

However, I can't get this to work in paper space. I've tried inserting the border in different sequences but no help. The AMBOM command acts differently in paper/model spaces. In paper space it opens a dialog box and never even gives you the option to select a border. If, according to AutoCAD, 'all notations should be on the paper' why will this only work in model space?

Has anyone figured out how to make this work in a layout?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: bseydlitz

The border BOM uses the extents of the border to "collect" all the part refs and/or structure inside the region. This won't work in a layout. You can place the border in modelspace to use the border BOM functionality and use the Scale Area functionality of the border to auto-create it in a layout (AMVPORTAUTO). Chris -- Chris Palmatier AutoCAD Mechanical Product Design Team "bseydlitz" wrote in message news:30905248.1094658821785.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Just recently I figured out how to associate a BOM with a drawing border to allow for several different BOM/Part List within a single file and one Main BOM/Part List that shows everything. This is great! > > However, I can't get this to work in paper space. I've tried inserting the border in different sequences but no help. The AMBOM command acts differently in paper/model spaces. In paper space it opens a dialog box and never even gives you the option to select a border. If, according to AutoCAD, 'all notations should be on the paper' why will this only work in model space? > > Has anyone figured out how to make this work in a layout?
Message 3 of 5
bseydlitz

Chris,
Thank you very much for your reply. If I understand you correctly a border BOM parts list must reside in model space.

The reason this is a problem is that we are looking to restructure our drawings so that only the actual model is in model space. This, I thought, was the intent of paper space. This allows different departments (shop drawing, factory order) to use the same elevation views and add individual notations such as detail cuts and parts list and balloons that appear only on the sheets that that department is responsible for.

Am I misunderstanding the intent of paper space? I suppose I could accomplish the same thing with frozen layers, but this creates a mess at the model. How would you recommend making this work?
Message 4 of 5
jguevin

We use AMPARTSLIST to attach the parts list, created from the BOM database. We use AMBALOON in model space. This creats the database. Then we attach the Parts List (Annotate / Parts List Tools / Parts List) to our border in Paper Space. We use the filters to split it up over more than one sheet, or Layout Tab.
I've attached an older drawing created in Mechanical 6.
John
Message 5 of 5
bseydlitz

Thanks John,
I had some problems with your drawing. I got errors saying it was created in mechanical desktop. I was able to view it and understand what you are saying about the filters. That may be the solution for us.

It still seems that if paper space is where items that exist only on the paper go, as is stated in the help files, that by now the drawing borders and BOM associated with them should work in paper space. Maybe in a future release.

Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost