AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Materials Expression Builder

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
paul0702
588 Views, 3 Replies

Bill of Materials Expression Builder

I cannot find a way to link a custom property field or text field in the expression builder of the bill of materials? I'm trying to create a template for a standard assembly (cross section) but the quantity of parts can vary.

The custom property field is available in the field expression builder but not in the bill of materials version. Is there a way to put them in? This would be a big help!

expression.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: paul0702

Hi,

Please find attached image.  We can create custom BOM properties (component properties) in Bill of Materials dialog box.

1. Command: AMBOM

2. Click Settings button

3. In the BOM settings dialog box>>create Custom properties as shown in the image

4. Select the custom property and Click Value to invoke Expression builder dialog box

5. In the Expression builder dialog>>Create a formula or predefined list.

6. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

Let us know if this answers the question.  OR please provide the steps followed using FIELD command to see the expected result

Thanks.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 3 of 4
paul0702

Hi,

No that doesn't work, what you are suggesting would require an individual value for every item in the BOM.

What I am trying to do is reference another value in the BOM expression builder from either a text value field, a field inside a table or custom values in the drawing properties.

I have 5 or 6 variables which I want to enter into a table or custom properties, then calculate the quantites using these variables by writing expressions in the BOM environment.

This would work if the BOM expression builder had access to either table fields or custom drawing properties.

For some reason, you can access the standard drawing properties in the expression builder but nothing else! It is possible I could put the values there, but that is messy & there is only access to 5 fields.

Please see attached.

Thanks for your assistance.

Message 4 of 4
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot access fields or custom drawing properties within BOM dialog box.  I will log this as a wishlist in our system

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost