AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical Freezes upon "open, save, save as" etc.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
jchang48375
5673 Views, 26 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical Freezes upon "open, save, save as" etc.

Hi there:

I have had this unsolved issue with my AutoCAD mechanical 2011 for sometime now - and it has rendered the program unusable.

System:

AutoCAD 2011 for Windows 7 64-bit - updated with SP-1

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

12 GB of RAM -

Everytime I click a menu itme under "file" (such as open, close, save, save as) - AutoCAD would going into a "busy" mode and then freezes. No way around it except to shut down the program.

I have minimised / disabled lots of Windows gizmos, such as Aero / updated with the latest graphics driver  - but only to NO AVAIL.

I have read a few places where users also posted the similar scenario - but I haven't found any solutions.

Can someone here please shed some light and share some paths I might try to solve this issue.

I haven't been able to use the program for a long time.

Anything is highly appreciated,

cheers,

Jimmy

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27
jchang48375
in reply to: jthomas1987

Everyone:

I almost gave up on AutoCAD 2011 until last night when I tried other possible solutions. Here is what I did -

I clean installed and updated AutoCAD 2011 64-bit - SANS the any antivirus on my PC. Of course, AutoCAD failed as soon as I opened, saved or closed files. - Exactly the same condition.

I wondered where AutoCAD was looking for the file so I looked all the setting under "Option" and then "Files". "The Default Template File Name Location" under "Template Settings" was empty.

I clicked on "Browse" and AutoCAD recognized the location instantly and saved the location of the template I had chosen as default.

Similarly, I changed or refreshed other default paths under "Files" tab. It worked; AutoCAD 2011 64-bit is again alive..... I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I did the same to revive my copy of AutoCAD  on the laptop. But did find one instance where that locatio was forgotten and AutoCAD locked up again. But the same temporary solution worked.

Hope this helps and Thanks for those who chimed in and helped.

have a wonderful day -

Jimmy

Message 22 of 27
jalneal
in reply to: jchang48375

Very likely the "fix" had more to do with using the options dialog to browse.  I have found that browsing any folder in the options boxes fixes this. 

This indicates that autocad caches the directories somewhere here, but there is some instruction when you use the regular file dialog box that is hanging explorer.  Indeed, when your autocad is frozen, just go to explorer and click computer - it will freeze until you stop autocad.  However, you can still browse any directory, just not computer. 

This also seems tied to the latest service pack from autocad.  Major problem though, because if you let it sit for about 30 min. without going back and doing this, you are going to crash again - apparently that cache has a certain time limit as well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 23 of 27
VSB_SBRF

If you have AutoCad 2011 and Windows 7 x64 try this:

You must make sure that you have not disabled the "server" service in Windows 7 x64. If it is "disabled" and disabled the automatic startup, the dialog box does not open.

To start the service, right-click on "My computer" -> Manage -> Services -> right-Click on the "Server " -> startup Type "automatic" and start the service. Good Luck! 🙂

I hope developers as soon as possible to fix this error!

Message 24 of 27
jalneal
in reply to: VSB_SBRF

Thanks for the info.  This didn't seem to be the culprit on my system- server was already enabled .

I finally have realized the cause of the problem on my computer, and this fixed it for good.  I didn't realize that Norton 360 had made such a significant change with the upgrade, finally Ifound the solution here:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20101117124343EN&ln=en_US

This problem seems to span all editions of Autocad - I'm actually using Ciivl3d, but noticed this problem in forums for many other products. The real catch on this one that was even more confusing is the computer I use to serve my files from is different from my notebook.  Even if your CAD workstation does not have Norton 360 v5, it will cause the problem if the computer you are opening files from has it.  

It will disable the backup features of Norton 360, but in my opinion, which for me is hardly a loss - I have been using Acronis for backups.

---------------------------------------------------------

Alan Neal

Intentio Connsulting + Engineering

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 25 of 27
neilbergstedt
in reply to: VSB_SBRF

VSB_SBRF,

This looks like the fix I've been waiting for.  We tried what you recommended and it works.  Thanks for the advice.

Neil

Message 26 of 27
andrenext

Not for me. I've never used Norton products on this machine, but I use Avast. Maybe that's the problem, maybe not. I had the same problem from Autocad 2009 to Autocad 2012 (2009, 2010, 2012 on trial versons), and I think it's not a problem related to 64bit version of windows, because in some places people with 32bit version related that problem too.

If someone has any solution for this problem, please, share here!

For now, i'm using DraftSight as a solution, but it's not the better solution for me.

My workstation use a Intel Core i3, with 4GB Ram, Windows 7 SP1. I only work with 2d, so the integrated Intel HD is not the problem.

Message 27 of 27
andrenext

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost