AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical and Inventor

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
xXramnXx
1179 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical and Inventor

We have AutoCAD Mechanical in the AutoCAD Inventor Suite, I am using Inventor but still want to know how AutoCAD Mechanical's use be maximized.

Its here but I do not understand how it should be used or for what applications is it useful.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
acwtzwegers
in reply to: xXramnXx

I use ACM in Inventor as an advanced sketch mode... In some cases it's just (much) more powerful or quick.

I tend to get all sorts of customer drawings and in some cases ACM can handle those better then Inventor, if only because it supports layers, overkill and such and Inventor doesn't. (Inventor struggles with duplicate lines to create it's regions).

The only thing that is really annoying is that Solidworks lets me select layers on import of a .dwg and Inventor doesn't while you'd expect better from the inventors of dwg 😉 .

Message 3 of 8
stevetrudeau
in reply to: acwtzwegers

Specifying Layers during Import of a DWG file is supported in Inventor.

Open -> Import DWG

Select DWG file to Import

DWG/DXF File Wizard is displayed

Select Next

The Layers and Objects Import Options page appears.

Here you can add and remove which layers you want imported or selectively pick objects to import.

Steve Trudeau

Autodesk, Inc

Message 4 of 8
acwtzwegers
in reply to: stevetrudeau

I dunno.. I guess you are the expert... but... when I click Next I get the "Import Destination Options", wher Next is greyed out and the only real options are Back and Finish.

When I insert through sketch and insert and DWG/DXF - same thing.

(all in IV2012)

Message 5 of 8
stevetrudeau

Make sure you have the same version of DWG TrueView installed as the Inventor version (i.e. DWG TrueView 2011 and Inventor 2011). The ability to select layers and objects is made available through DWG TrueView. If it is not installed then it skips to the Import Destination Options page.

Message 6 of 8
RogerMollon
in reply to: stevetrudeau

DWG TrueView is a free download from our web site www.autodesk.com.

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 7 of 8
acwtzwegers
in reply to: RogerMollon

So... this would beg the question: With the entire Inventor 2012 Suite installed... why doesn't that include Trueview? I mean: I got design review, 3dsmax, mudbox, acm, showcase etc etc - which are all less essential to the running of Inventor then this would appear to be.

Message 8 of 8
s.mutschler

That is a GREAT question!  Why is TrueView not on the installation CD?  At the very least, it should be mentioned in the Read Me files and/or installation instructions.  It is not.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost