AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical 2015 is not keeping Workspace setup

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
david.penney00
971 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical 2015 is not keeping Workspace setup

Hi,

I am finding that after setting up the Workspace for all the toolbars including 3rd party add-ons, that upon restarting the program the next day, it would not keep the workspace setup.

I have a Profile now saved with all settings and Workspace cuix file with saved setting and when I invoke these - it instantly sets up correctly and all toolbars/icons are in place., and all Search File path and Trusted Locations are correctly listed.

However, upon restarting the program it reverts to the almost the default setting - it does keep a few of my toolbars but that is about it.

We tried a clean reinstall a few times and it keeps happening, even leaving out the 3rd party apps, its the same thing.

It will NOT retain all settings after a restart!

This was never an issue in all previous versions I might add.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: david.penney00

How are you starting the program?  Does in include a workspace switch (/w "Workspace name") in the command line?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 9
david.penney00
in reply to: dgorsman

I am starting the program now, with the setting the Program Icon Properties....Target.......now including the correct Profile arg filename.

This has improved matters considerably, but not had to do this method for quite a number of versions.

Usually, once set up, every time it started up, it was all correct and present.

I am not sure how your method actually works.....

Do you put this in the command line everytime on opening the program?

Not much different to my recent method of opening Options....Profiles and clicking on the Profile <Set Current> once opening the Program - to get it to correct itself last few days.

But it should be retaining the settings, which it isn't. I should not have to keep correcting the issue everytime I start up AutoCAD.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: david.penney00

Doesn't go at the command line, it works the same as the /p "Profile name" argument in a shortcut.  If you are starting with a shortcut it may be pointing at a specific worksapce (with the /w argument) other than the one you want.  If there is no workspace argument it should be starting with the last available workspace.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 9
LyleHardin
in reply to: dgorsman

Sounds like the OP was an issue with the /P parameter in the target of the shortcut.

I usually remove the /P for my users so AutoCAD will always start up using the last Profile but inevitably someone will pick on an Icon or Start menu item that shows a different /P profile to use and I'll have to explain to them how to get back to our usual profile.

I am having an issue, however, about my actual Workspace not staying put.

I have to save two identical workspaces so I can set my workspace when I start AutoCAD. I alternate between the two every time I start AutoCAD or Civil 3D.

It always seems to resort back to some default workspace. (The profile is fine).

I'm on 2015 and it kind of did this with 2014 too. I have multiple monitors and I'm wondering if it's got something to do with that.

Message 6 of 9
david.penney00
in reply to: LyleHardin

Actually THAT was my main problem in 2015 (was OK for me in 2014).

I have two workspaces I use, but every time I restarted AutoCAD, etc, it would revert to some randon hybrid Workspace and some, if not all, of the custom Search Path File paths would be missing, etc,

I did eventually get it to behave once I set up the specific target Profile....but out of the blue I still get issues such as commands (Express Tools usually) suddenly not working - but a restart usually fixes this.

Last few days has been OK.....

Cheers.

Message 7 of 9
acwtzwegers
in reply to: LyleHardin

Well, I've got two monitors too... and that wouldn't be it, because my workspace does not just reset itself.

What I did is somewhat easier/brutal then your setup:

- I delete profiles I don't want used upon installing/setup (saves having to track all sorts of shortcuts etc)

- As default I customize the default workspace "Mechanical" by adding our own ribbon tab to it (before Home).

My users (or I) do not report sudden resets of workspaces, and we are all in 2015 SP1... but then of course... if it would reset to the default - that would be the customized default.

I do recognize that there's somethings not right with the ribbon in 2015:

- customisations to a workspace do not show immediately. To see the added tab in the ribbon, I first have to switch to another workspace and back again.

- because the lack of support by AutoCAD Mechanical for "new" features of AutoCAD, like the ribbon,you get dumped in "un-useful" ribbons along the way: the block editor ribbon does not have Mechanical support and switches to layer 0 instead of AM_0... getting out of contex tabs can have you dumped in the default Home tab instead of our custom one that should have priority, the layout contex ribbon has the same trouble as the block editor one... with the added annoyance that it's completely useless because all Mechanical paper boundaries and such are model-space based (20+ years on).

Message 8 of 9

Hi,

We were not discussing number of Monitors. We were discussing "Workspace" in AutoCAD. In my case I have two, one for 3D modelling and one for 2D drawing.

Message 9 of 9

sorry, i read "monitors" before 😛

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost