AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Mechanical 2011 problems after installing Update 1

68 REPLIES 68
Message 1 of 69
G.Barozzi
5152 Views, 68 Replies

Autocad Mechanical 2011 problems after installing Update 1

After installing Update 1, few minutes after a drawing has been opened or created from scratch, the following problems arise:

- ESC key does not deselect anymore;

- Object move on other layer or layer group (AMLGMOVE, AMLAYMOVE) does not work anymore: after selecting the objects, pressing Enter terminates the command;

- A text string cannot be anymore edited by double clicking on it.

- AMDIMSTRETCH does not work anymore.

- An attribute can’t anymore be modified by double clicking on it. Now, to modify an attribute: select the attribute, right click|Modify Attribute, click on the attribute again, the dialog finally opens .

- AMNOTE does not work if I select an object. I have to start the arrow somewhere in the empty space and then move it to pick the object which I want to point to.

- AMHATCH with the pre-defined settings does not work anymore (clicking on the screen the command terminates).

- The Intersecting Centerlines command does not work anymore (clicking on the screen the command terminates).

- AMPOWEREDIT does not work.

I can confirm that this behavior depends on the installation of Update 1. Another AM2011 installation on a laptop (same OS, where Update 1 has not yet been installed) does not show these issues.

In addition to the previously mentioned new problems, I see that the following issues have not been fixed by Update 1:

- Continuous drawing regeneration while using a 3DConnexion device;

- Frequent exception errors while opening drawings done in previous releases;

Anyone else noticed this behavior?

Regards

G. Barozzi

Autocad Mechanical 2011 Version 2 (installed with Autodesk Inventor Professional 2011), fresh install on:

Windows 7-64bit

HP Z800 Workstation

24 GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX4600 (Driver 259.12)

3DX Space Pilot (Version 3.11.3).

68 REPLIES 68
Message 41 of 69
JasonAB
in reply to: Eng-Seng

At least in my situation, this does nothing. My problem occurs within the loading of the program, not a drawing or file.

Message 42 of 69
bwhill
in reply to: JasonAB

Eng-Sneg,

I am seeing the same ESC key and "No Selection" issues as others.  I have experienced it today again.  Regen/Regenall has no effect.  Restarting Mechanical temporarily fixes the problem.

1. What is the windows operating system you are using? lanuage pack? 32bit or 64bit?

WIN XP PRO 2002 SP3 32-bit.  English.  Dell M6300 precision workstation, 4Gb RAM, Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1Ghz.

2. What other Autodesk products you have installed in the same machine?

Currently none.  Previously had Mech 2009 and 2010, but uninstalled them after installing 2011.

3. Have you customized your installation to install in a different directory or drive other than the default Program Files folder? 

No.  Program directory is "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ACADM 2011".

Also have user settings at "D:\Documents and Settings\bryanh\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD Mechanical 2011\R18.1\enu".  The PC is configured to have user profiles on 😧 drive.

4. How did you install Update 1? download from Product Support or install from Live Update in Communication Center?

I don't remember.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information.  I presently have LOGFILEMODE=1 to track my actions.

Thanks,

Bryan

Dell M6300 / Nvidia Quadro FX3600M / Core 2 Duo T8100 / 4Gb Ram / WinXP SP3 32-bit
Message 43 of 69
wgstinson
in reply to: bwhill

I have been experiencing the same issues as the OP on at least one occasion.  The most common one is the ESC key not working, and not being able to edit text by double clicking on it..

We have 4 people using essentially identical machines all experiencing the same problems.  Currently the only way we are able to fix the issue is to restart AutoCAD.  One of our IT people thought it could have been a video card issue, however the video card was replaced on one of the machines and the issues still persist.

The one thing I noticed with the ESC key not working properly that I did not see mentioned, when the ESC key is acting up, it will not display *Cancel* in the command line, it just displays another line.  Typically when the ESC key is pressed *Cancel* appears in the command line. 

1. What is the windows operating system you are using? lanuage pack? 32bit or 64bit?

- Windows XP, English, 32 Bit

2. What other Autodesk products you have installed in the same machine?

- ACADM 2007, 2009, 2011.  Inventor 2008, 2009, 2011

3. Have you customized your installation to install in a different directory or drive other than the default Program Files folder?

- No

4. How did you install Update 1? download from Product Support or install from Live Update in Communication Center?

- Not sure

Message 44 of 69
Eng-Seng

Hi bwhill

Hi wgstinson

have you tried clicking on Open button and then Esc key?

will that resolve the problem?

Hi JansonAB,

your issue seems a little different.

I will take a look.

regards,

Eng Seng

Eng Seng.Chua
AutoCAD Toolsets
Message 45 of 69
wgstinson

Yes shortly after I posted this, one of the other people here using 2011 with update 1 mentioned hitting the open button then closing the box, and that has worked for me so far.

Message 46 of 69
jbogaard

It looks like clicking the 'Open' button resolves the problem. I will keep testing it. Hope Autodesk will come with a more permanent solution.

Regards, John

Message 47 of 69
mamj
in reply to: G.Barozzi

We have experienced this issue as well.

We uninstalled the servicepack on the machines that where affected.

best regards

Magnus

Message 48 of 69
Eng-Seng

Hi all,

we suspected that the problem might be related to a selection leak issue in zero document state (i.e. all drawings closed).

We suggest that you do not leave AutoCAD Mechanical running in zero document state for a long period of time.

If you need to take a break and leave AutoCAD Mechanical running, please at least leave a drawing open, even if it is an empty drawing.

And if you have encountered the problem, i.e. Esc key cannot de-select, please click on Open button and then Cancel.

We are now working on this issue and in the meanwhile, please use the above workaround first.

Thank you all for your patience,

Eng Seng

Eng Seng.Chua
AutoCAD Toolsets
Message 49 of 69
mamj

Open and cancel makes esc. deselection work again.

Looking forward to the next servicepack 😉

Message 50 of 69
JBOYYY1952

YOU MAY BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK, BUT I THINK IT HAS MORE TO DO WITH LEAVING AUTOCAD IDLE WITH OR WITHOUT DRAWINGS OPEN BECAUSE I FIND IT HAPPENS AFTER ACAD IS LEFT IDLE WITH DRAWINGS OPEN. THE FIX IS FINE, BUT SHOULD NOT BE OCCURRING.

Message 51 of 69
Eng-Seng
in reply to: JBOYYY1952

Hi JBOYYY1952,

before the problem happens, have you gotten into zero doc state after launching AutoCAD Mechanical?

Do you normally go into zero doc state first before opening a new drawing?

Thank you,

Eng Seng

Eng Seng.Chua
AutoCAD Toolsets
Message 52 of 69
JBOYYY1952

VERY RARELY DO I GO TO ZERO DOCUMENT STATE, BUT NOW THAT I AM AWARE OF IT, I'LL TRY TO SEE IF THAT HAS ANY EFFECT ON THE PROBLEM.

JOHN

Message 53 of 69
bwhill
in reply to: JBOYYY1952

Since my last post I have not used Mechanical much, so there has been little opportunity for me to experience the error.  The ESC key and "No Selection" problem did occur once recently, and choosing _File_Open resolved the problem.  The error occured while editing a drawing.  I do not believe I encountered a zero document state.  I will watch how this zero doc state condition affects the error.

Bryan

Dell M6300 / Nvidia Quadro FX3600M / Core 2 Duo T8100 / 4Gb Ram / WinXP SP3 32-bit
Message 54 of 69
JasonAB

Eng-Seng

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Thanks,

Jason

Message 55 of 69
bwhill

Eng-Seng,

My hard drive was wiped clean by the IT department and all new software installed.  Windows XP SP3 was installed.  I installed AutoCAD_Mechanical_2011_English_Win_32bit from the download and allowed the installation process to install the service pack as well.  The problem of incorrect selection still exists.  Choosing to "open" a file restores normal behavior.

Bryan

Message 56 of 69
Eng-Seng

Hi All,

sorry for the late response.

please rest assured that this issue has been identified by our engineering team and they are working on it as the top priority task.

I will keep everyone updated once a solution is available.

In the meanwhile, we seek your patience to use the workaround as discusssed here.

regards,

Eng Seng

Eng Seng.Chua
AutoCAD Toolsets
Message 57 of 69
tgaroutte

That's great ENG-SENG, because both the original and Update 1 have so many bugs it's rediculous!  I can't believe Autodesk (usually the most reliable CAD platform) put out a product that was so totally unready to sent to it's customers.  I just reinstalled Update 1 and I can't figure out how to uninstall the darn thing in Windows 7 - even though I have gone through this whole process once before.  There is no option for just uninstalling Update 1.

Message 58 of 69
tgaroutte
in reply to: tgaroutte

I figured out how to uninstall in Win7.  You have to click "View Installed Updates" in the upper left.

Message 59 of 69
JasonAB

Eng-Seng, if you'll look at my original posts, you'll remember that the issue I was having was a bit different than most. I was having the most trouble with a system menu that was "supposedly" invalid. At your request I had even emailed a screenshot of the error.

Here is an update, I've since done a complete un-install of Mech 2011 and re-installed. I'm using the exact same menus that I always use, however, I have not installed Update 1, nor am I going to until a new update is available, or at the very least a hot fix.

\FYI, personally, I think its running pretty decent without the update, the only issue I have is the program will crash when I try to access the quick properties box, or edit the quick properties in the CUI. Other than that, I don't think I even need Update 1. The Update 1 rendered my autocad M-2011 completely useless (due to the menu not loading) and I do kind of need to work. The old saying; if it's not broke, don't fix it! I can live without quick properties!

Jason 

Message 60 of 69
Eng-Seng

Hi all,

we have resolved this issue in AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 Update 2 Beta.

Please go to Autodesk Feedback Community to download and try out the fix.

If you do not have a Beta account, please sign up here : https://beta.autodesk.com/signup/

Regards,

Eng Seng

Autodesk

Eng Seng.Chua
AutoCAD Toolsets

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost