AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD and Windows 8 Consumer Preview

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
sarim_xyz
17284 Views, 15 Replies

AutoCAD and Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Hi,

I was trying to install AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 x64 on my Windows 8 CP x64. but the installer couldn't install .NET 4.0, as it is in-built in WIndows 8, and the setup failed. I edited the setup.ini file to exclude DOTNET4 from all the components' prerequisites and then the AutoCAD installed fine.

then, after launching the program, working and then upon closing, I was getting the famous 'unhandled access violation error', followed by a "send error report to Autodesk" with my AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 x64 on Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64. however after much searching on the net i found the following solution to be helpful:

1. open Notepad as Administrator (important!)

2. open the file: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012\acad.exe.config" (you will have to select "All files" from the open dialog box to see that file)

3. in the 3rd line - "<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">" change "true" to "false". leave everything else as it is.

4. save the file.

5. Start AutoCAD.

the AutoCAD then worked absolutely fine.

Now, I'm getting the same problem in AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 x64 and the same steps are not helping...at all!

the installation went absolutely fine without the need to edit setup.ini this time. But this bug won't go now.

Can anyone help me to remove this bug? I know Windows 8 is not officially supported by AutoCAD but well, it worked fine and it should work fine now! any genius coder out there??

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
damianemuller
in reply to: sarim_xyz

Getting the same kind of issue bro 😕

Message 3 of 16
sarim_xyz
in reply to: damianemuller

I even tried installing in Windows 8 Release Preview, but same error. I wonder what is taking so long for Autodesk to come up with the Windows 8 support. They should issue some fix for Windosw 8 asap, it's high time now!!

Message 4 of 16
wolfgrrl

It is my experience with AutoDesk that they will not fix bugs in Windows versions until it is released to the public and out of beta (preview) stage.

Autocad Mechincal 2012 on Windows 7 64-bit
Message 5 of 16
sarim_xyz
in reply to: wolfgrrl

that's stupid...nvidia has already been releasing drivers for Windows 8 even since Developer Preview came out. now how can i use autocad 2013? huhh...m not going back to Windows 7!

Message 6 of 16
joep

I had the same problem on Windows 8 Release Preview.

The .config-edit made AutoCAD crash even faster - about half a second after showing the spash screen.

Just setting compatibility mode for AutoCAD 2013 to Windows 7 compatilibility solved it for me.

Message 7 of 16
sarim_xyz
in reply to: joep

still crashing 😞
Message 8 of 16
pendean

Search these forums outside of this one single discussion area for tips, many of us have it working just fine.

Message 9 of 16

Only seems to be a combatibility problem with new computers running Windows 8 and AutoCAD 2012. Export your licence prior to installing Windows 8 and import it to get going again when Windows 8 has been installed.

Message 10 of 16

"I edited the setup.ini file to exclude DOTNET4 from all the components' prerequisites and then the AutoCAD installed fine."

I can't understand how to install autocad 2012 in window 8 release preview and what mean of red letters highlight above. would you please tell me clearly or step by step procedure

Message 11 of 16
sarim_xyz

to edit the setup.ini file, open it in notepad and remove any instances of DOTNET4 from it. find the word "DOTNET4" and delete it. then save it with some other name (to avoid overwriting the original file), say 'setup8.ini', but take care of the extension, it should be .ini. After that, rename the setup.exe to the same name as the .ini file (in this case, 'setup8.exe').now install autocad.(you may need to refer to additional steps mentioned in my earlier post above)

however all these posts are helpful for older versions of Windows 8. I have switched to the evaluation version as it is more stable and have new features. I haven't tried using autocad on this version, so i'm not sure if it's working or not.

btw, Windows 8 has been released, i am waiting for the autocad to include windows 8 support in their product.

Message 12 of 16
michaelsu

Hope you can find some info here.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19048377&linkID=9240617

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 13 of 16

Thanks Sarim it's really work and i installed autocad 2012 on window 8 release preview successfully.

Thanks a lot,

Krunal Mistry

Bachelor of Engineer in Mechanical Engineering

Message 14 of 16

glad i could help. you are welcome, anytime. 🙂

Message 15 of 16
carlos

Best answer of all ... Tks worked 100%

Message 16 of 16
jaymoStevens

I have similar issues - recently updated my computer and didnt realize my new laptop was 64-bit, so dowloaded the 64bit installer from Autodesk, however when i try reload my autocad2013 software i get an error message from the 64bit installer to say that it can not locate the autocad software even though they are in the same folder!! I had the computer with windows 8 but downloaded windows 8.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost