AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative dimension conflict

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jrsheaffer
1146 Views, 4 Replies

Annotative dimension conflict

When I create a dimension it doesn't turn out the way my annotative dimstyle is set up.

take notice to the annotative checked box for my SS ANOTATIVE DIMSTYL.

OPEN SCREEN 1 ATTACHMENT

Now when I create a dimension with this style it doesn't turn out the way it's setup. take notice to the properties dialog box it changes the DIMSTY to a different name, it becomes SS ANOTATIVE$0, which to me means it created a overide.

OPEN SCREEN 2 ATTACHMENT

So I start looking around for answers and I come to AMOPTIONS/AMSTANDARDS under the stadards I go to the dimensions and bring up the dimension styels and and I find that the styls isn't exactly the same the chech box for annotaion is unchecked and it can be checked but it can't be applied, it returns to a unannotative state.

OPEN SCREEN 3 ATTACHMENT

So the only way I can get my dimension style the way I have it set up is the select all the dimensions with that style and change it in the properties dialog box to it original DIMSTYL name. I shouldn't have to do that.

Can anyone help.

thanks

Jason

J. Sheaffer
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
acwtzwegers
in reply to: jrsheaffer

This is because basically Mechanical is constantly trying to undo AutoCAD's progress since release R12: it has reactors to un-annotative your dimensions and stick them in a $name dimension style made on the fly.

Four solutions would apply:

1. go back 25 years in CAD features
  2. only dimension in paperspace
  3. make a "DIMFIX" command in lsp that undoes the actions of the reactionary reactors
  4. make a reactor in lsp that does this automatically

For one of our companies we have gone for the solution #2 (easiest), another one uses solution #3... my coding skills aren't good enough yet for #4

Because Mechanical wants to stay in the early 90s, solution #2 has (amongst others) trouble with scale area's getting changed and then refreshed: the dimensions will remin where they were located before the changes, claim they are associated to their objects (even when a mile off) and cannot be re-associated without losing the scale of the viewport they were connected to.

Solution #5 is: I whine to AutoCAD Mechanical employees every chance I get. ( that and the fact that you cannot reliably dim to ends of arcs: it has a high chance of flipping to the other end of the arc upon save/regen/move/copy/... )

Message 3 of 5
steve216586

Mechanical Power Dimension commands don't use annotative dimensions. As you have found out, it will override with its own style. The easiest fix I have to suggest, is to load the vanilla commands for dimensions, on the ribbon and get rid of the Power commands. Go into the CUI and you can swap them out for your workspace profile.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 5
jrsheaffer
in reply to: steve216586

Steve,

I always wandered what that preferences screen was for, that worked for me thanks a million. I've been using acad lite for the past few years and my new job has me running Mechanical and the guy next to me has lite. which causes some problems when I'm the new guy trying to adjust to his standards. My company should have just gave me lite and saved themsselves 2000 bucks. any way thanks again.

jrsheaffer

J. Sheaffer
Message 5 of 5
jsmanrique

JRS,

We all learn the hard way, me too I've been so used to using annotative dimensions, but it just doesn't work with Mechanical Desktop, which is really annoying. Anyway, ACW came up with good solution there, but for us, we always dimension in modelspace.

So I came with a solution as well, what I do is whenever I change scale, I just change the "dimscale" to whatever scale I want to dimension, so for 1"=1'-0" I just change dimscale to 12. Make sure that the annotative is off under dimension style TAB Fit.

I also hate this power dimension that sometimes you move them you don't see them being moved but their grips are all moved away...so whenever that happens I just close and restart acad, but there must be an easier way. (this is for another topic I might have to post this one)

Hope this helps 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost