AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative Dimension Arrow Size

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
rh8mpo
5654 Views, 17 Replies

Annotative Dimension Arrow Size

I'm using Mechanical 2011 and have just set it up to use an annotative dimension style (with annoautoscale switched on). Whilst the size of the dimension text is working as expected, I'm having issues with other settings such as arrow size and off-sets.

For example, in the dimension style the arrow size is set to 3.5 - but if I add a dimension (in model space) at scale 1:10 the arrow size does not match.  In the dimension properties the arrow size is 0.35

I've read another discussion with the same issue - but no conlcusion on how to resolve it.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rh8mpo
in reply to: rh8mpo

Some further information regarding the issue:

I've noticed that in the dimension property box the text size is also showing as 0.35 (in dim style this is set at 3.5).

The text measures at 35mm (as expected for 1:10 scale), but the arrow has not been scaled-up and remains at 3.5mm

Message 3 of 18
steve216586

Could you post a drawing with the dimstyle so we can look at it and experiment?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 18
rh8mpo
in reply to: steve216586

Hi Steve,

I've posted a to illustrate the issue - please let me know if you need any further details.

Thanks
Message 5 of 18
rh8mpo

Hi Steve,

I've posted a drawing to illustrate the issue - please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks

Message 6 of 18
steve216586

Try making your text size in STYLE = 0 and it will "un-gray" the text height in your Dimstyle Manager. Let your Dimstyle text height control the drawing text height and annotation scale settings for the dimension settings.  (See the attached) I placed two scales on the dimensions: Tab A3 has the original 1:10 and Tab A2 is set to 1:40. You can switch between the two and see that although they are at different scales the text and arrows are the same size in appearance.

I also noted the dimensions in layout tab A2 were on a style called NMX$0, which appears to be an override since It wasn't listed in the Dimstyle Manager dialog as a style. I set the dimensions on NMX and all seemed ok.

Message 7 of 18
rh8mpo

Hi Steve,

Thanks for you help in resolving this issue - changing text size to 0 did the trick.

With regards to the Dim Style - I think I've fallen into a confilct between AutoCAD & Mechanical Dim Style Manager - NMX$0 is a sub-group for linear dimensions - got around conflict by using 'DDim' to manage dim styles.

Thanks again

Message 8 of 18
steve216586

I'm glad I could help.

Message 9 of 18
rh8mpo

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I've discovered that the solution only partially works - with the text size set to 0 the other settings (such as arrow size) follow the annotation scale. However, dimensions that are subsequently added are at 1:1 scale - not the annotation scale.

See attachment for an example.

Message 10 of 18
steve216586

Did you change your model space scale to match the annotation scale you desire? If it is set to (1" = 1'-0") then that is the current scale and all is acting as it should. It appears at the lower right of model space in the tray with a pull-down for selecting current scale.

Message 11 of 18
rh8mpo

The top & right side dimensions were entered at a annotation scale of 1:1, which was then changed to 1:10, the bottom dimension was then added - with annotation scale still at 1:10

Message 12 of 18
steve216586

The lower dimension is on the NMX$0 dimension style which has everything set to 0.35".

You will need to either change which dimension you are going to use.  Autocad vanilla or Mech. Or set the Mech dimension style to match your vanilla settings.

Message 13 of 18
rh8mpo

Thank-you for your continued assistance.

I would prefer to use the Mech profile, but I have not been able to set up an annotative Dim Style using this method:

Options>AM:Standards>dimension>(enter new name)edit>modify>fit>annotative

It never retains the annotative setting.

Is it possible to set up an annotative dim style within the Mech profile, or does this only work with the vanilla profile?

Message 14 of 18
steve216586

You can set up your WORKSPACE to use the vanilla dimension toolbar through the CUI. This is what I use. In the CUI click on the transfer tab. The left side should have your Mech cuix open and the right side should have the ACAD cuix open. Switch the dimension tools from one to the other. Don't delete either one.  You may have to place one somewhere temporarily until you move the other one out of the folder. (Sometimes I had to, sometimes I didn't)

After you do this you should have the vanilla dimension toolbar with your Dimstyle available in your Mech Workspace and profile.

Let me know if you need further assistance with this configuration.

Message 15 of 18
rh8mpo

ok - I've replaced the Mech dimension panel with the Acad version, and the Acad dimensions are coming in at the Annotation Scale.

I've noted that the Acad dimensions are placed on the current layer, not the layer specified in the Object Property Settings. Is there anyway to automatically place the Acad dimensions on a specific layer?

Message 16 of 18
steve216586

Unfortunately that is the trade off. You have to create a layer for Dims. You can change the properties tho in the Dimstyle Manager.

Message 17 of 18
rh8mpo

It seems that the issue has now reached a conclusion. That's the easy bit, now I have to roll-out this workflow to my colleagues.

Thanks again

Message 18 of 18

While I liked the attempt to provide a solution, it didn't work.  This took place around 2013.  It is now almost 2020.  Autodesk's "Help" is a disaster.  It hasn't changed in over 20 years.  I know some of the reasons behind this.  Corporate managements get virtually FREE money from the banks at near 0% interest.  Why improve your products when you can merely borrow at virtually NO cost, then use it to buy back company stock to provide an illusion of increasing share price.  In Europe they are even paying corporate borrowers to borrow.  This is NUTS and explains a lot about poor quality in most everything.

The question is relatively simple.  How can one change existing dimension arrow size?  So where is the answer in Autodesk's Help capability?  Apparently management knows when they get their take-home pay.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost