AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom to extents of Shapefile

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Chasethewind
720 Views, 7 Replies

Zoom to extents of Shapefile

Civil3d 2012

If you attach a shapefile through "Connect to Data" and try to zoom to extents by right clicking on the shapefile under "Task Pane" it zooms to a different location.  The shapefile and drawing PRJ is in LL84.  It works in Civil3D2010 but not in 11 or 12.  I have Service pack 3 installed.  Why?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: Chasethewind

Is ti the same shp file in 2010 or a newer version/different shp file?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 8
Chasethewind

I created the shapefile in C3D2012 and it will not zoom to the correct location.  I created a shapefile with 2 other programs, imported it into C3d2012 and it will not zoom correctly.  C3D2010 allows you to zoom to it though.  Hope this clairifies.  This result is the same for one other machine.  I have not tested it on any others.

Message 4 of 8
parkr4st

Could you separate zooming from location?  zoom finds the max and min x & y of the data and brackets the data accordingly for display may have little to do with location.  Location is as in the data coming to the proper world coordinate on your map.  Are you getting a zoom to the data but is it on the grid at the wrong location?  or no zoom at all?

dave

Message 5 of 8
Murph_Map

If you mapimport the shp file into a new blank dwg then zoom extends does it display OK? Sounds like when you created the shp file you had something out in outerspace or at coordinates 0,0.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 8
Chasethewind

If I use the regular zoom to extents command it will center the shapefile.  If I use the zoom to shapefile extents it will zoom WAY out.  Wouldn't the regular zoom to extents command behave the same way if something was out in space?

Message 7 of 8

Hi,

>> Wouldn't the regular zoom to extents command behave the same way if something was out in space?

No, it does not. ZOOM EXTENTS calculated the boundary of the displayed objects ... while the ZOOM to SHP-Limits uses the SHP-internal stored limits, independent of any graphical objects filling that limits or not. And I don't know any way within Map3D to recalculate/refresh that stored value (except of recreating the complete SHP using MAPIMPORT and then MAPEXPORT).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 8
parkr4st

if an object was deleted from the shp the bounds still holds to the original extent of the shp data.  maybe?

rc in task manager   view meta data and select the shp to see the bounds info of the data.

follow Alfreds map import export to build a new shp which should then have the new bounds of your data

dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost