AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREF Transparency

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
tsovich
114466 Views, 21 Replies

XREF Transparency

Just upgraded from AutoCAD Map 3D 2009 to AutoCAD Map 3D 2011, and noticed that by default my XREFs are showing up with what looks like a 50% transparency giving them a "washed out" look.

Is there a system variable to correct this?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
tsovich
in reply to: tsovich

Nevermind, found it:

Options -> Display -> Fade Control -> Xref Display

Evidentally it's set to fade all xrefs by default...

Message 3 of 22
m444m5

Hi.

This only works on display... rigth?

Is there a way when this "transparency" can be printed?

thanks in advanced, 

(sorry about my english)

Message 4 of 22
Pointdump
in reply to: m444m5

M,

Do this. Step1:

Step1.png

Step 2:

Step2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 22
m444m5
in reply to: Pointdump

thaks Dave, 

but this is not my problem, 

my question is, how can i asign a printable transparency to a xref.

i can see a transparency (or fade) of a xref, but can i see it in real paper???

i`m not sure if it is possible, but should be 🙂

thanks!

Message 6 of 22
Pointdump

M,

Yes, unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think this is what you want. Try it.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 22
m444m5

😄

i´ve tried this, in fact, i ussually plot with transparency, 

what i want to know, is:

that transparency that we set to DISPLAY in model (maybe a xref, maybe a block)

can be translated to plot...

i can make a hatch, and plot it with 80% transparency...

but a xref? can i?

Message 8 of 22
JillMarsano5345

Can you please assist us further? Answer the above question?

Message 9 of 22
llaframbo
in reply to: JillMarsano5345

I am having the same issue. Xref is faded, plot transparency is checked. but yet it does not print transparent. Why? I do not know.

Message 10 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: llaframbo

Hi,

>> Xref is faded, plot transparency is checked

If the display of the XRef is faded just because of the setting of XDWGFADECTL (>>>details<<<) this means nothing for plot, this is just a display setting.

To make it really transparent you have to assign either the layers property "transparency" or the entities a transparency property which makes it transparent for plotting.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 22
joe
Community Visitor
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I'm having a similar issue I think.  Its crazy, I open the xref and the solid hatch is transparent.  As soon as I insert the xref into my drawing its solid and nothing I can do changes its transparency.  I've tried TRANSPARENCYDISPLAY, I've tried checking the plot transparency box in the Plot configuration.  I even went in and changed color 9 to be transparent and that didn't even fix it and the solid hatch is color 9.  So I don't know what to do?  I'm using AutoCAD 2018 also, not sure if that's a glitch or not?

Message 12 of 22
ScottHodges
in reply to: joe

As Alfred said above, transparency for an object is set per the object in the original xref (have a look in your properties box), or in the layer manager in the parent drawing if the objects in the xref are bylayer.

Message 13 of 22
Ntuthuko.
in reply to: ScottHodges

Good day @Alfred.NESWADBA,  @ScottHodges, Dave any one who can assist.

I am having the same problem and the responses above do not resolve it.

I have a drawing XREF'd into my current drawing. In the Layer Properties Manager I selected the XREF filter to show only the XREF layers. I set the TRANSPARENCY setting of the layers to 70% (the VP TRANSPARENCY setting automatically follows suit). Now, in the Page Setup Manager of my layout I have DISPLAY PLOT STYLES and PLOT TRANSPARENCY checked, so the transparency reflects on my layout. However, when I plot the drawing, the XREF objects have no fade or transparency at all. What could be the reason for this.?

All assistance is appreciated.

Regards,

Ntuthuko

Message 14 of 22
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Ntuthuko.

Hi,

>> However, when I plot the drawing, the XREF objects have no fade

>> or transparency at all. What could be the reason for this.?

The objects within the referenced dwg-file don't have set their transparency to "byLayer"?

If you are on AutoCAD 2016 or newer you might try to set XREFOVERRIDE to 1 (>>>details<<<) and try the same again.

If you want to show us small dwg-files (parent dwg and referenced dwg with some objects that don't show their transparency while plotting) it would help to identify the exact reason.

Please let us also know your AutoCAD version and service pack.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 22
tnews4

I was having the same issue with aerial photographs attached as xrefs.  I wanted them to plot with a 65% fade as an underlay.  What worked for me was opening the xref'd images, right-clicking on the image and selecting "Adjust" under "Image".  This allowed me to fade the image when it plots.

I hope this helps.

Message 16 of 22

@Alfred.NESWADBA 

I have just discovered this XREFOVERRIDE option. Thank you!

Normally, when I start a job, I have to open the architectural file, select all, explode Block References, repeat a couple of times until they're gone, select all, change lineweight to ByLayer, change transparency to ByLayer. Then repeat for Ground, First, Roof etc.

XREFOVERRIDE does all of this for me. Brilliant. My question, why wouldn't I want this turned on? I thought I read somewhere in the AutoCAD help that they recommend not to use it, but not sure where I read that.

Cheers,

Curly. 

Message 17 of 22

Hi,

>> My question, why wouldn't I want this turned on? 

I would not see a reason to keep it turned off, however, there does not exist a general rule for it has to be on or off.

It depends on the drawing files you get/you use as external references and the workflow you go.

I would also not know any Autodesk documentation that suggests a specific setting. If you have a link you can show it and I can look into it.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 22
JReidhead

I just spent a couple of hours on this.  I literally tried everything mentioned in this discussion.  I did not have my viewport set to layer "0", when I changed it to "0" several of the items I had tried but not changed back started working.  Now I have to go find out which item I changed to make it go to 50% transparency and change it back to something a little darker :')  If any of you are still attempting this, try changing your xref to the layer zero in it's original drawing.

Message 19 of 22
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: JReidhead

@JReidhead wrote

<<.....If any of you are still attempting this, try changing your xref to the layer zero...>>

The fade condition of an External Reference can controlled using using the SLIDER found in the Options Setting.   Any change regarding the the layer that's hosting your viewport is purely coincidental. The XREF slider is here:

101.png

Or........if you prefer the system variable use XDWGFADECTL. The value ranges from -90 to +90. You can read about it here:

102.PNG   

Chicagolooper
Message 20 of 22
JReidhead
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thanks @ChicagoLooper, I uploaded my comment prematurely.  I appeared to be fixed, but printing, the actual issue, is still not working.  The fade control doesn't seem to be working either, when it's faded at all I believe that's what is causing it to not show up at all.  I'll keep trying and see what I can figure out

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost