AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREF - Locate Using Geographic Data

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chierchio
4596 Views, 3 Replies

XREF - Locate Using Geographic Data

I am having some difficulty using the XREF/Block insertion using 'Locate using Geographic Data'. This does not seem to locate anything using Geographic Info. I have found a large discrepancy with this process in the order of 100's of meters. I am using SA-17S (dwg 1) in my drawing and WGS84-17S (dwg 2) in the drawing I want to insert.

When I attach dwg 2 to dwg 1 and set the coordinate systems using the assign coordinate system and query in data, everything matched and is coincidental, but when I insert or XREF using the 'Locate using Geographic Data', there is an enormous error.

Have I missed something here?

I cannot seem to find any reference to this check box in the Map3D Helpfile. Using Civil 3D 2011 - 64 bit.

Thanks,

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: chierchio

The locate using Geographic Data' is for vanilla AutoCAD and not be confused with the coordinate systems/datums used in MAP3D. Stick with the Map dwg attach command or reproject the dwg you want to xref in to match the base dwg.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 4
Sinc

That option only works when you have GEOMARKERVISIBILITY = 1, and have set the GEOGRAPHICLOCATION.

But listen to Murph...  That option is mainly meant to allow the Vanilla Autocad guys to do some Google Earth sort of stuff.  It doesn't actually reproject anything, just attempts to scale/move/rotate things to an approximate match, and sometimes it comes up with some pretty funky ideas.  Stick to the Map features.

Sinc
Message 4 of 4
aj
Community Visitor

I know this post has been out there a while but you may be better served in lieu of inserting an XREF invoking the "locate using geographic data" variable, another workaround is to instead, attach the dwg and execute query. Very important to have the units set correctly as well as have each dataset coordinate system assigned. If querying into the primary dwg with the units set as 'feet', all other dwgs to be queried should also be set at 'feet', even though the dataset may be in meters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost