AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xdata

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
jagielski
1096 Views, 19 Replies

xdata

Does anybody know if there might be a routine to add xdata to a polyline (ASCII string in particular) by selecting existing text instead of having to type the text when prompted to do as the existing attach Xdata express tool requires? I know I could copy and paste text, but I have several sets of text that needs to be added to several hundred polylines and being able to select existing text instead of typing or having to copy and paste each text string would be very beneficial.

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
antoniovinci
in reply to: jagielski

Are the text strings all identical, or every string is different for each polyline..?

Message 3 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

on one side: no, I don't know a ready-to-use-tool that does that. But it's not so much work to create it.

BUT: What is the reason that you want to use XDATA? As we are here in the forum for Map3D it might also be to think of using Object-Data and not XDATA.

The most important differences are:

• Object-Data is analysable with Map3D-functionality, XDATA is not analysable
  • XDATA can be used with plane AutoCAD, Object-Data needs Map3D as base product, does not work with plane AutoCAD

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 20
jagielski
in reply to: antoniovinci

All of the text strings are different for each polyline

Message 5 of 20
jagielski
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

We use object data for our own purposes, but these polylines are being supplied to someone who uses xdata for analysis through SurvCadd. We don't usually change up the way we do things but we are trying to accomodate their needs without having to have them change their processes. 

Message 6 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if there is an application that needs XDATA on objects than I think that it has some restrictions or some rules of how they structure their XDATA. It's not as easy as "write text to XDATA" as also XDATA can be structured in many different ways.

Check their structure (upload a drawing with such a filled sample-poly), let me know what AutoCAD-version you are running and if you have installed VBA for AutoCAD (and upload a drawing that shows what you currently have). Maybe I have some minutes.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 20
jagielski

Alfred,

The new block.dwg is what they sent us with attached xdata for what they are currently using. I attached some xdata to a polyline using express tools and sent it to them to make sure that they were going to be able to use it in the same way and they were. 

We need to be able to attach owner name (i.e. - C.W. Hoskins' Heirs) and tract and contract information (i.e. - TR1006_200204) as string xdata to our polylines and to retype this every time we have to attach it using the current express tool opens the door to errors that we would like to eliminate. 

The testdata.dwg is a small sample of what we usually use. Everything besides the object data is text that we have added to adapt to what the people we are working with are used to and I guess need for their purposes. We also attach our object data to the polylines but this is not done in this drawing. 

I am currently working in AutoCAD Map 3D 2012. I do not believe that we currently have VBA installed, but probably wouldn't be a problem to install if needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Message 8 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

first question: 32bit or 64bit?

second question: do you know that as long as these two text-objects are single/separated objects the full automation is not really possible? You have to click every single text-object.

If you would have created these two text-objects as additional attributes within your block "ID-CO" the way to full automation would be possible (you would not have to select every poly and every text).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 20
jagielski

64 bit.

If full automation would be possible, then we can add those lines to our existing atribute blocks, no problem!

Message 10 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If full automation would be possible, then we can add those lines to our existing atribute blocks, no problem!

What is the source data that you can say that? Because if it is easy for you to do the conversion from two textlines to the block-insertions I guess your data-source is not this file?

Well, when you have done that for the sample-data upload the new drawing with the new block-structre. I will then try to send you the conversion to XDATA as soon as possible. (hurry up. it's 7:30pm for me) 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 20
jagielski

Alfred,

I guess I don't mean that it would be "no problem", I just mean I can add new items to our attribute blocks and add the text to it as I go along. I have hundreds of tracts like this that I am mapping in this area, maybe closer to a thousand and we don't normally add xdata to the polylines, but are going to for this particular file. I will update the attribute block and upload that file shortly, but please don't stay on my account. It might be just a bit before I can get that done. If you would like to look at this tomorrow or the next time you have a chance, that would be great!

Thank you,

Kraig

Message 12 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> It might be just a bit before I can get that done. If you would like to look at this tomorrow or the next time

ok, then I wait 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 20
jagielski

Here is the drawing with the updated blocks. The other text is not needed to be part of the xdata.

Message 14 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry, a day with just phone and no pause 😉

Well, I have attached a DLL that should do what you need. Be careful, I have not tested that to much, so it's necessary to do verifications that you know that everything is running as you like and need it!

To load the app: start AutoCAD, start command _NETLOAD ==> show this DLL (please store it locally on your harddisk as the NETLOAD-command will not load DLL's from a network-path, at least as long as there are no special security settings).

When it's loaded you have a command ANTools_ShowForm_XD added to AtuoCAD, start it to get the form with three functions you need (and a very little description below if these 3 buttons).

I did a video to show how to load and how to use it, I can send it via email to you (it's 6MB and so I can't upload it here). If you want to have this video mailed send me a PM (you have the option within this forum) and give me the mail-adress you want to have it sent to.

Good luck, - alfred -

PS: let me know if everything does not work as you like .... let me also know if it's working as you like 😉

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 20
jagielski

Alfred,

This is a wonderful thing! This is exactly what I was looking for. 

The only thing that doesn't work for me for some reason is the close button and that is not a big deal. I can exit out by hitting the x button at the top just the same.

I really appreciate this!!!

Kraig

Message 16 of 20
jagielski

Alfred,

I hate to bring something up that is a couple of years old. This tool you provided to me has worked very well and is much appreciated.

I've recently upgraded to Autocad Map 3d 2015 and it seams that this dll isn't working with 2015. I didn't know if you could confirm that it will not work with 15' for me so that I know I'm not doing something wrong when loading it. I am loading it from my local computer and not a network location.

Thank you,

Kraig

Message 17 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I didn't know if you could confirm that it will not work with 15' for me so that I know I'm not doing something wrong

Your are correct, this type if applications are not compatible from 2012 to 2015 as there was an API-compatibility break with AutoCAD 2013.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 20
jagielski

Thank you.

Message 19 of 20
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

find attached a version for 2015/2016, please be careful at the beginning (save before starting the tool) as I have not had too much time for testing.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 20 of 20
jagielski

Alfred,

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Kraig

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost