AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with City-Wide Tiled Images (75-100meg Tiles)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cedwards8511
442 Views, 3 Replies

Working with City-Wide Tiled Images (75-100meg Tiles)

Situation:

There are about 75 tiled aerial images that are used to cover the entire city. 

Each image is about 100megs and accessed through [fast] network to server.

Map & Raster Design 2013

Window 7 (64-bit)

2.8 GHz with 8GB

NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Question:

What is the best way to create a base map with all of the tile accessed the quickest?

Problems:

I was working with the images in a file that they were all X-Ref'ed into, but Unloaded.  This is the fastest way to open the dwg, but cumbersome to load individual tiles.

I tried to load all of the tiles and just turn them on/off as needed, but it takes about twenty minutes to open the dwg...too slow. 

Any Suggestion?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

>> What is the best way to create a base map with all of the tile accessed the quickest?

The Map-command _MAPIINSERT is the command that handles the referencing of the images (including georeferencing) in the fastest way I know.

You may also try _DATACONNECT, that is slower with loading, slower while PAN and ZOOM around, but faster for switching on/off.

What I do if it's time critical: I have 2 or 3 directories with the same images, but different resolutions. So in one folder I have the images with 5000x5000, in another folder I have the one with 500x500. My project alway references to a folder "ORTHO_IMAGES", but before I start it I rename the highres- or the lowres-folder to that name.

The other option may be to have both types of images referenced and you swith on just what you need in the resolution you need.

And the last option with images handled by _DATACONNECT: you can use different scale-settings for the images. If you zoom very close to an image then the highres is on, the lowres is off, zooming away makes it in the opposite way.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4

I used MAPIINSERT instead of DATACONNECT because it's faster.

Thanks for the suggestion.

That is basically what I do with the images in ArcGIS where I have created raster catalogs.  I have heard that people have go ESRI raster catalogs to work with Map/Civil, but I believe that ArcServer is need and we aren't quite there yet.

I know that a few versions ago I was able to load all of my images into a dwg, turn them off (Show Image=OFF in Properties), and then be able to open/close the file faster because it didn't process each image until I turn one ON.  Any idea what has changed to prevent this.  Now I have to wait for each image to process before the file opens; it takes about twenty minutes. 

What's almost worse, is that I move my cursor over any of the images listed in the XRef Manager, then I have to wait a minute for it to process the image before I can get back to work, this is a real hassle when trying to load multiple images.

Message 4 of 4

Hi,

>> I know that a few versions ago I was able to load all of my images into a dwg

With MAPIINSERT I don't think that there were (big) changes. For me that works in the same way (and the same speed) as it did with 2005. Well, there are some fileformats that are allowed more now.

>> because it didn't process each image until I turn one ON

For me it does not process any image that is turned off, currently tried with Civil3D2013 and 260 TIF-files

>> that I move my cursor over any of the images listed in the XRef Manager, then I have to wait a minute

That points me to either your images are real big or your network traffic is real slow. Yes, what happens by just moving the mouse and stopping over one of the reference-lines: a preview is calculated. Maybe you try another fileformat or you play with options to the fileformat. Because I currently don't know if the preview is loaded from the file-header or caculated on the fly from the image itself.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost