AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with a DEM

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Jfactory
488 Views, 2 Replies

Working with a DEM

Hi. I once had a similar question but this time my data is smaller and much better.

I'm hoping to figure out a few things about DEM's.

1) vertical exaggeration - what to set it to? Is there data for a Z-scale I'm missing?

2) how to move a DEM as mine isn't located in the right spot.

3) better overall understanding of working with DEMs

The DEM data comes from this website: I tried attaching a 10 MB zip but it was too big.

http://www.dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/id/23964

When I data connected to the DEM which is in ASCII format it comes in looking okay.

DEM connected

Then I change to 3D mode and it's terrible.

3D view not working

For a while I decided it was my data and I should convert it in ArcGIS... but first I decided to play with vertical exaggeration.

Setting vertical exaggeration to .00001 yields this:

Now it's looking good

And I'm satisfied with the way it looks now, but I'm curious why the vertical exaggeration is whack?

Also, the section is way off from my other data. How can I move it?

Strangely, it seems to work correctly in ArcGIS. Does anyone know any solution I could fix in ArcGIS and then transfer it to AutoCAD? I mainly use AutoCAD.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jfactory
in reply to: Jfactory

Additionally, it came with shp files as borders and they're located in the right spot...

How do I connect them?

Message 3 of 3
Jfactory
in reply to: Jfactory

Omg, I think I fixed it. It was allllll because of the coordinates!  Silly me! Sorry for the trouble!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost