AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering whether 2012 Map3D is correct tool for project?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tjsuchoski
337 Views, 3 Replies

Wondering whether 2012 Map3D is correct tool for project?

I have been tasked with setting up a new tacking program. I'm looking at possibly using 2012 Map3D.

I have an AutoCAD drawing that has over 5000 closed polylines.  The closed polylines are on multiple layers, one for each type of meter or service, and have a text address enclosed within the boundaries. 

I need to link these polylines to an excel file which has the account number and address of the lots, plus the types of meters and services associated. 

I need to be able to draw a polyline around an area and be able to generate a list or report with the number and type of all of the meters or services within the area.  Is that possible?

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated!

Civil 3d 2011 or 2012
Quad Core Intel
Windows 7 x64
8GB RAM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: tjsuchoski

tjsuchoski wrote:

I need to link these polylines to an excel file which has the account number and address of the lots, plus the types of meters and services associated. 

Well, if the text addresses contained in the closed plines are identical to that field in Excel, you can join them via ODBC (it works on my Map2006, I hope in yours too...)

tjsuchoski wrote:

I need to be able to draw a polyline around an area and be able to generate a list or report with the number and type of all of the meters or services within the area. 

One way is to _MAPEXPORT by selection to a shapefile, then you play with the generated .DBF file in Excel, or in other Gis tool. 

Message 3 of 4
tjsuchoski
in reply to: antoniovinci

OK, I figured that the ODBC option would be the way to start.  But the excel file has multiple meters or services for some polylines and only one for others.  Will map address these?

Also, can I use a map query to collect the information for the bounded area and then export it to a csv text file?

Civil 3d 2011 or 2012
Quad Core Intel
Windows 7 x64
8GB RAM
Message 4 of 4
thepworth
in reply to: tjsuchoski

Q1:  Yes, if you look at the procedures for "creating a join" you have options for either one-to-one or one-to-many matching from primary (left) and secondary (right) tables. 

Q2: yes - you can query by property or "locate on map" by either a predefined or within-command defined polygon and export the results to a .csv

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost