AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual World (3D) authoring & simulation

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
625 Views, 11 Replies

Virtual World (3D) authoring & simulation

We are completely frustrated at the time/cost and level of effort at creating 3D virtual worlds (100 square KM) in
traditional DOD modeling and simulation tools (MAK, Presagis Tera Vista).

We need to be able to create 3D (land, sea, undewater) virtual worlds from elevation (DEM) imagery (geotiff, etc.) and author and create 3D models (either importerd from Google Warehouse in Sketchup, or created in Max3D, etc.)

The resultant system must have an API (So that an external engine can animate boats, ships and other 3D models), and be GeoSpatial correct (as well as model accurate lighting).

What do people think about the following systems:

• X3D from the Web3D consortium (we have found world building tedious, the work from from Max3Ds difficult, but the OGC (OpenGeoSpatial) stuff is nice.
  • AutoDesk Map3D and especiall the Autdesk Labs Galileo project (looks promising. Does it meet the criteria above?)
  • Unity Game engine (no idea as to whether the authoring workflow will allow us to rapidly import the DEMs, or if it can deal with 100 square KM of data with reasonable paging (tiling, LOD, etc.)
  • Google Earth (The cost and difficultly of the server really made this a dead end for us. Besides the crummy level of 3D visualization (e.g. lighting etc).
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Hihowruman
in reply to: Anonymous

Seems like you have a similar idea to mine about a need for creating in virtual worlds .

I am looking at 3D printing software wondering if it can be used to create in virtual form in a simulator instead if solid form..especially terrains for me and in the opensimulator medium..

I can not find much about it ..any ideas ?

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

I have been focusing on big data, maps and 2D geospaces. But on my longer term horizon we are now being asked to look into 3D. I will have more info in a few months on this.

But right now, my favorite tool that is helping me do automated and manual conversions and fusion from the Sim world, GIS, 3D cam, and other data is SAFE FME: 

http://www.safe.com/

Take a look and see if it does not help a little in doing some of the fusion of data for you.

Message 4 of 12
Hihowruman

Thanks I will.

I am looking into the conversion of .raw files .STL and .obj   seems to be some possibilities there if the processs are reversable also..

But at the same time I am trying to find a way to get a real world map into opensimulator .maybe not in the viewer but the website user interface that accompanies it...again for my real world grid 

I wrote to openstreetmaps ..and they are using it inn their conference which is on at the moment..'state of th the Map'

a2ki3@hotmail.com

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Hihowruman

Take a look here for file formats supported (300+)

http://www.safe.com/fme/format-search/#!

You can ask them about STL, but OBJ and raw are supported.

So are OpenFlight.

Message 6 of 12
Hihowruman

Thanks again,

I will let you lknow how I get on..

T.L.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

They are a small, private owned company in Vancouver, and they have been very personally helpful when I reached out for help.

ESRI uses them behind the scenes.
Message 8 of 12
Hihowruman

I found this which seems to be a good way to get the file generated ..I don't need the solid object they sell ..but it may serve as an extra feature for the project..

Now to see about conversion..

We need a map guy on our collaborative team ....I have a few ideas I would like to discuss with you if you are interested..the project is The Virtual Earth Grid in opensimulator..np pay but could pay off..

Message 9 of 12
Hihowruman

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Can you give me some cryptic way to contact you off forum (i.e.round about way with an email without an @). But I am full time employed in a R&D lab.
Message 11 of 12
Hihowruman

a2ki4@hotmail.com i use for that ..

Message 12 of 12
Hihowruman

a2ki3@hotmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost